Author Topic: Drying Cane Question  (Read 4145 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Drying Cane Question
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:48:33 am »
Hi yall,

I cut a good bunch of cane a couple weeks ago, and I've had it bundled straight and placed in the cab of my old truck with the windows up. It has really dried quick, and most of it has turned tan color. I'm guessing it is probably dry enough, but I don't know for sure. I haven't cut any of it to length yet for arrows.

I'm new to making cane arrows, so any help or suggestions on drying or any other aspect of making cane arrows would be appreciated! Not sure how I should seal them either...

Thanks!
Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Drying Cane Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:57:55 am »
It's probably getting about right. Heat-straighten a couple of them. Then see if you can bend it back crooked without heat-if you can bend it by hand and it stays bent, it's not dry enough yet. If you don't scrape into the rind, you don't really need much of a sealer on cane, because that shiny rind is water-resisitant. I usually sand mine down a bit to rough the surface up for dying and fletching, though, so I  slap a couple-three coats of Tru-oil on them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:59 am »
Thanks Hillbilly, I'll give that a try. I guess I should take them out of the cab before long...might get them too dry? Would it be okay to store them in my basement...a little damp down there?

What do you use to heat the cane, the candles are blackening them. Don't really mind, pretty good camo. :)
Greg

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:59 am »
Greg, I was having the same problem when I used a candle.  The camo effect is OK, but hold them a little higher, you'll still get enough heat to bend, but it will be out of the soot. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:49:59 am »
Greg,  I use my kitchen stove to heat straighten hardwood and cane shoots. A heat gun works also. 
  I store all of my shoots and cane in the utility room in bundles. Cane will rot quickly if left in a damp area. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:46:09 pm »
Thanks for the information everyone. I won't store them in my basement...wife will just have to make room in one of her closets! ;D
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:47:37 pm »
Greg I have a nice dry place for them if yer interested ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:53 pm »
Thanks for the offer Dana, I'll keep that in mind. ;)
Greg

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:02:11 pm »
Hay Greg:
Use and OLD rag to wipe the soot and oil off your canes after they have been straightened. ::)

Don't use one of your wife's good dish towels.  That stuff does not wash out very well. ???

She wil be PO'ed  >:( until she gets back from the store with some new ones. :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:36:11 am »
David,
Unfortunately she's more into new clothes then new dish rags, but I'll take your advice anyway. ;D
Greg