Author Topic: Hill style tri-lam build-a-long!  (Read 20621 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Hill style tri-lam build-a-long!
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:34:45 am »
I've started on my next bow. It will be a 66" Hill style tri-lam. It has a bamboo backing, a cypress center lam, and ipe belly. This cypress was cut locally and used by my Grandfather to build his house back in the 1930s. It had been stored in the loft of his barn for 50 years until his death in 1989. I have only a few good pieces. I plan to have some cut into lams for a fiberglass bow that I plan to build one day soon. Anyway, I pre-tapered the core and ipe leaving a thick 14" center section flat on each piece. This thick portion will serve as my island of wood to glue my handle to. I have had trouble with some of them bending into the handle and making the glue lines bulge. I used my new form for this one. I took out the middle post, and used the two deflex posts to support my rather flat handle section. I glued in 2 1/2" of reflex. I'm hoping it will have 1/2-1" when I am finished. Here is the glue up. If you will notice, I had to add two pieces of square tubing so that I had something for my clamps to grab. They would fit around the whole form.

Out of the form it still retained 2" of reflex. This is one stout puppy! I'm gonna have bunches of ipe to remove. Good thing I made the cypress thin. Here she is out of the form. I used plenty of Tite-Bond 3 for the glue up.

Luckily things didn't shift much in the form. I wrap electrical tape around the laminates very tightly in three places before I draw it to the forms profile with clamps. You will have minimal shifting though. You will lose a little width while cleaning up the core. I started with a width of 1 1/4" and am hoping for a finished bow with 1 1/8" wide mid-limbs. She cleaned up nice. The glue lines are superb! They keep getting better.

I forgot to mention. While the blank was curing in the form for 24 hours, I prepared my riser and tip overlays. I was using a solid ipe block for my riser, but wanted a hickory accent stripe. Here is the ipe and hickory glued up. In the past I have stacked several pieces of handle material, but with this one in wasn't required since my handle section is flat. I glued some pre-prepared elk antler to a thin piece of ipe, for contrast, with CA Gel.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Hill style tri-lam build-a-long!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
Should be a neat bow.  ;D What draw weight are you shooting for? How long is the bow?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:21 am »
Here is a dry fit check of the handle section followed by the glue-up.

Here is a dry fit check of the tips followed by the glue-up.

Tomorrow I will clean every thing up, rough shape the tips, cut the fades, trap the boo, and put a long string on her.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:41:02 am »
I'm shooting for 55@28, and she will be 66" NTN.

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:52:22 am »
the bamboo looks very thick!  Good luck with that.

Offline StanM

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:07 am »
My one experience with ipe would leave me to believe that you will have no trouble making weight.    ;) I love Hill style bows, and am looking forward to this one.  I read and reread Hill's "Hunting the Hard Way" book and it'll be neat to see you build a bow like he did before using fiberglass.  Thanks,

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

radius

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:06:03 am »
guys, what IS a HIll=style bow?

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:45 am »
Hill style simply means that it is a straight, or nearly straight, longbow of greater length with no deflex.  They generally have a narrower, and deeper cross section than a flat bow, and small light-weight riser.  That's my definition.  I may be off base though.

This piece of boo is has quite a thickness variation between the nodes.  I left it a little thicker than normal, but think the ipe can handle it.  It measures around 1/8" at the thinnest between nodes.

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:30 am »
Thanks for the def'n, AP.  I have a few trilams leaning in the corner waiting to be tillered.  They are all r/d shapes, with maple back, maple core, and yew belly wood rising up over the fades.  They are damn thick in section, too:  about 5/8!  Way too much.  Broke one the other day.  Had it tillered to 50# at 22", but i wasn't seeing any of the usual shape of r/d bows on stringing...I think I made a mistake and made these bows too thick.  But if I reduce the backing thickness by 1/2 what it is now, and go seriously narrow on the width overall, I should be okay.

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:42:37 pm »
so, how wide are the limbs on a hill style bow?  pretty narrow, i guess?  If my limbs are 5/8 thick, and tillered into lenticular shape, i guess they should be an inch wide at the most?  I'm shooting for 50 lbs or so...66" bow ntn.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:51 pm »
I think my last one was 1 1/8" wide tapering to about 3/8-7/16" tips.

radius

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 06:09:04 pm »
and how thick?

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:52:01 pm »
I sold my Wesley, but have an Owl on the way.  I'll let you know how deep the limbs are when she arrives.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:33 am »
Todays update contains some bad news!  My belt sander bit the dust.  It is a small table top model that I have run the dickens out of.  I have probably ran it hard for a couple of hundred hours!  I'm gonna tear it apart tonight and hopefully it's just a start capacitor of something.  I did get the tips and the riser roughed out before it died.  Here are some pics.

radius

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 10:34:29 am »
That's too bad about your sander, I hope you can fix it.

How's the bow coming?  Bend it yet?