Author Topic: Hill style tri-lam build-a-long!  (Read 20620 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Re: Hill style tri-lam build-a-long!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 11:02:58 am »
I tried, but she is probably 100# right now.  I have to remove a lot of wood first.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:12:04 am »
Wish I had more to add, but no progress worth taking photos of.  I took the capacitor off my sander and it was blown, but a new one didn't make it work!  I guess I need to buy a new sander.  I have been working the limbs down with a wood file and scraper.  After several hours of sweat, I am about half way to being able to brace it!  I figure the belt sander would have got me to the brace stage in less than an hour.  It will take about 5 hours with these hand tools.  That is the problem with using new designs.  I have to leave bunches of wood to start, so that I don't come in under weight.  I have a really good taper, so I am working both limbs down evenly.  Hopefully, I can get a string on it by tomorrow morning and take some more photos.  Stay tuned.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:09 am »
Maybe a good lesson for you in using hand tools. I have a sander but I never use it for tillering a bow limb anymore. I did that in the early days until I learned to use my other tools properly. Nothing works as good as a good sharp scraper and a fariers rasp. I can remove material just as quikly with them and I have way more control with them. Good luck and have fun. Ryano
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:49 am »
Here is a quick update.  I haven't had as much time to work on it lately, and the work is going slower without my belt sander.  I am almost ready for bracing.  The right limb is still a little stiff though.

Here is a riser shot showing the fades, and another showing the tips a little more finished.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 10:33:44 am »
I was able to work on my bow some more this morning.  I got the limbs bending 10" past the handle on the long string.  Now it's time to cut some string grooves.  I start with just a groove on the back to hold the string.  After I string her up she may need some side adjustment on the limbs to get the string to line up down the limbs.  After I get everything in line I will trace the string on each side of the tip while it's strung to know where I want the grooves cut into the sides.  I measure 3/4" from the very tip and mark a line.  I find this gives me room for a cup style stringer.  I first cut a guide line in with a small trianglular file and then follow it with a tile cutting coping saw.  I cut it just deep enough for most of the saw blade to hide in the groove.

I strung her up with a brace height of 3-4" and gasped in shock.  I had a bad hinge in both limbs just past a node on each end about 12" from the tips.  I unstrung her immediately!  I still have a good bit of belly wood to work with, and think I can work out the hinges by removing wood else-where.  On the long string the limbs were bending some towards the tips, and I should have known they were too thin.  As I learn these mistakes I will become a better bowyer!  Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistakes! :)

radius

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 11:26:45 am »
i think your long string is a little bit waaaaay too long.  it's deceptive.

with the long string, pull til you feel some tension in the limbs, then, if you can draw it the equivalent of a normal brace height (say, 7 inches past where the feeling of limb tension set in), then go to a very slight brace...like 2 inches.  You want to brace it as soon as you can, but low.  This will show you what the limbs are doing, but in a safe manner.  Then you can work out your hinges, and as they disappear, you can gradually increase the brace height to 3", 4", and on up to 7" or whatever.

Looking good so far, man.  How thick is it and how wide?  Is it a direct taper from the fades to the tips, or do the limbs run parallel partway?

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 11:40:02 am »
1 3/16" or so wide.  I'll have to measure the tickness for you.  It is a straight taper to the tips.

radius

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:32 am »
thanks

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 07:25:38 am »
I have been finishing a Hill blank the last few days, and will return to this one in a day or so.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 11:12:01 am »
Well folks this one died a horrible death this morning. I had worked out the hinges and some limb twist as seen here.

I had the bow drawing to 10-12", and was excercising the limbs, when she exploded pretty violently. Luckily, I was standing 12-13' away from my tiller tree. It looks like the cypress just couldn't handle the shear strength. I should have known better! This cypress was pretty, had straight grain, but was feather light.

Well, you know what they say. If you ain't breakin, you ain't makin! On to the next one!

radius

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 11:20:18 am »
Good spirit, man!  Yeah , i broke one a couple weeks ago myself...choked up mad for about 2 seconds, cuz it was GOING TO BE so pretty and so mega...but then just grabbed another blank from the corner and started cleaning it up.