Author Topic: Ideas for homemade practice points  (Read 19733 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Ideas for homemade practice points
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:17:56 pm »
I am looking for new ideas for points you can make yourself. I have a few but am looking for inspiration ???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Ideas for homemade practice points
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »
man i have seen a bunch of ppl post ideas of homemade points on here.
Mililani Hawaii

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:05:11 pm »
Nugget, you got empty .38 cal cartridge cases. The primer hole can hold a sharp nail or turn it around, the head of a nail to make it stronger and heavier. You also got rectangle, .06 to .090 thick about 3/8 wide by about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch long, steel saw blades you can cut and slot the shaft. These are absolutely devastating on small game.  Length will determine weight. That is an LJ (Kenneth G.) innovation. I've seen copper and steel wire wrapped around the shaft and CA'ed on. There is a whole lot more out there.

Dick
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:13:59 pm by DBernier »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:42:09 pm »
Dick, I think the metal rectangle inserts were Kenneth's Idea or at least thats where I got them from. Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »
Your right Pat. That is who gave me mine too. Sorry Kenneth  :-[  I will whip myself 50 lashes.   :'(  I corrected the post.

Dick
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:14:44 pm by DBernier »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:29 pm »
Simple cartridge blunts work best for me. Still get stuck in the dirt every once in a while, but they can't get dull and easily replaced. They also tear those evil Cocacola cans to shreds when they charge you ;).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:42 pm »
i hate them dang things. nothing more than a nuisance. and you cant turn you back on them either or theyll jump you. yup i try and shoot every one of them cola cans when i see them. ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »
I hate those rampaging stumps. You got to shoot to kill when you draw down on them.

I have some scrap stuff laying around i have been playing around with. Will try and post if they work out

Thanks guys
T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:56:04 am »
Here are the home made points that Dick and Pat were talking about.  Basikly tie on trade target points.   Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:59:38 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 01:29:15 am »
Those sure stick in a target well. I think I remember watching Kenneth nearly get a hernia pulling them suckers out!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

radius

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:17 pm »
hey, those inserts look perfect!

Offline nugget

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 05:25:23 pm »
I think I saw one Pat had at Hickory. I  will try them along with the nail and brazing rod tip.

DBernier

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »
The arrows Little John shows have obvious pointed tips. I used them squared off and hit a squirrel with one. Looked like a frag grenade went off in his head. Lucky shot.

Dick

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:28:45 pm »
Kenneth how do your points work for stump shooting?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »
David, nice to talk to you and really was nice to meet and shoot with you in Tenn. , yea they work just like a field point. They will break if you hit a rock. I made it thru the classic with an intact dozen but now have broken two of them. No falt of the points, was shooting in strong wind and the arrow was flying crooked when it went into a hay bale. If you look close, two of my arrows have serrated saw teeth , square point blunts. Should work well on small game and shoot and stick into a hay bale like a field point.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell