Author Topic: Pretty bows??  (Read 29207 times)

Offline Dano

Pretty bows??
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »
During the little to do over the BOM (which I think ended without a fix), I kept hearing comments about "the pretty bows". I like a well crafted bow as much as the next guy. I like how the bowyer paid attention to the details, ain't that what craftsmenship is all about? A well crafted bow can be "pretty" but I think that is all a part of building a fine bow. Primitive archery, does not give us an excuss to skip the details. Forget all the bow catigories, lets just have three levels of BOM beginner, intermediate, and expert. Lets have levels that allow the bowyer to grow, instead of feeling intimidated. Just my 2 cents. Lock this down if it gets boring too.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

radius

Re: Pretty bows??
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:53:51 pm »
nothing primitive here, we're using the INTERNET to discuss archery equipment made with BANDSAWS and BELTSANDERS...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:55:31 pm »
Dano thats not a bad idea except how do we class the bowyers skill level ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:13 pm »
I like it the way it is now. Gives somehting for us beginners to aspire for :).

And I agree, pretty bows show that the attention to detail is there. Form follows function, so the function's there then ;).

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:15:50 pm »
Pretty is as pretty does.  O:) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »
I've been known to be a clown like radius, but I'm tring to help here. I guess putting everyone in levels is too much work, sorry Dana, you'll always be intermediate.

Nevada

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:02:58 pm »
Well dang Dano thanks for the promotion I figured I was a beginner yet. Ya made my day :)

And yes Dano I understand your trying to help :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:01:35 pm »
Dano, I always enjoy your posts. I didn't vote this time ( bad on me). For me instead of bow of the month I kind of substitute the word accomplishment of the month. I am just as apt to vote for a new bowyer as I am an old timer. If I feel someone really reached inside themselves and gave it that extra effort and got results I may very well vote for them. A well crafted and finished bow gets my attention everytime. I am the worst guy in the world for nice finishes so I never post bows anymore. I do kind of like the idea of a rookie class, as far as intermediates go, I see guys on their 8th or 9th bow outdoing me all the time so I don't think intermediate would be needed. Maybe we should just discuss more the kind of criteria we might consider when voting, bottom line is each guy will vote how he feels like anyway but open discussions on the subject i think can be good. Steve

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 11:29:01 pm »
i always try to make my bows pretty. apply a nice satin and finish and little touches here and there. i usually make a really shaply handle riser too.  thats just the way i like to do it. it takes a little longer but i think its worth it especially when someone looks at me and says " you made that?"
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:34:10 pm »
Dano I like it, ;) and as far as classifying,it's easy. Let people classify themself, but with suggestive boundries. 1-25 bows (novice) and so forth. If someone cosiders themself an acomplished bowyer then you place move yourself up. I'f you won BOM then you are no longer in the beginner class.
  That has some real potential Dano. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:36:14 pm »
  Man !,, What are we dragging this crap over here for. This is starting to be like an old dog sliding his a$$ across the grass. Dano, Yes something is being done about it.You just were not informed first. We all know that somebody that takes time with their bows has pretty bows. Jeeez, the Amish are pretty damn primitive to the rest of us but take a lot of pride in their woodworking and have a lot more time then the rest of us. And it shows.
  It looked like everybody that had a suggestion for BOM pretty much exhausted their ideas on the other thread, so why rehash it over here? On top of that, it seems like most of the people bitchin, very seldom contribute. Don is in charge of BOM. He is camping, so why not give it a rest until he gets back. I can pretty much tell you that there has been enough input and that anymore is just a waste of time on your part. There will be a decision before next month.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 11:57:45 pm »
Sarah locked the other thread.  She and Marie will be talking in the office and I'm sure will be taking all input into consideration.  They will make a decision and will let us know what it is.  Please be patient and let them work it out.  If they need more input I am sure they will ask. Although that would be like asking for a dump truck to run over your head.  :o Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:04:41 am »
just out of curiosity how many bows does it take to get out of beginner class
                                                                          Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Dano

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:41 am »
I'm retired Mullet, I have plenty of time. Let's not just dump it on Don and say here ya go, fix it.

Nevada

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 12:34:00 am »
Dano, like Justin said, the other thread was locked. I believe MNGT will decide what is going to happen with BOM next.They have been monitoring all the post and suggestions. Like I said also, to just continue this on the Bows Thread is just going to rehash the same stuff and at this moment in time accomplish nothing.This section is about crafting and building bows, not Rules and Regulations and personal thoughts on BOM.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?