Author Topic: Pretty bows??  (Read 29539 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Pretty bows??
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 12:45:34 am »
It's about buildin bows my friend, not rules and regulations, and most importantly Personal Thoughts. Take a break dude!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 12:54:24 am »
A bow that is well crafted is naturally attractive.
Gordon

radius

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 01:03:46 am »
Gordon said it again, in just a few simple words.  Nothing wrong with making pretty bows.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 04:30:03 am »
 Man !,, What are we dragging this crap over here for.   It looked like everybody that had a suggestion for BOM pretty much exhausted their ideas on the other thread, so why rehash it over here? On top of that, it seems like most of the people bitchin, very seldom contribute.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

DCM

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 05:39:23 am »
Wow.  Some folks get pretty worked up about this stuff. 

I like the idea of not posting the vote tally until it's done.  I personally don't vote because I won't take the time it takes to fairly judge 40 something entries every month.  I don't follow every post closely throughout the the month and it just doesn't interest me to pick a "winner."

For those who win every month, please reconsider being more selective with your entries.  I've always found bowyering to be a personal journey, not a competition.  To put it another way, if you do win, you've only demonstrated you are a big fish in a very small pond.  Nice sometimes granted, but that's what it boils down to.  Yes, I have entered, and won.  And I wear the hat proudly.  But all I really wanted was to get my wife's picture in the magazine, and only once.

For those who resent the ones who win every month, how about a rule such that once you win a BOM you either get kicked into another higher class, like Dano suggested beginner, intermediate, etc. or you simply aren't allowed to enter more bows for the year.

On the whole, I think a hand full of folks regard this as being a whole lot more important than it really is.  While an interesting part of the magazine, any three bows highlighted from the boards, picked at random even, would serve the same purpose, perhaps even better serve the purpose.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 09:59:52 am »
Well said, Mims. Now, everybody, do we really need to keep on making a mountain out of a molehill? I don't see the point in starting a caste system on PA, and lumping people into categories of relative worth. It's s'posed to be a little fun, show-and tell, people. Dragging this out is doing much more harm than good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DCM

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 03:13:19 pm »
For the record, I think it's perfectly appropriate to discuss this, necessary even.  I just think we should not get so worked up about some parts of it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 04:05:04 pm »
If you look at the amount of votes each month compared to the mount of members it becoes pretty obvious that BOM is not all that important to most. I kind of like it as is. Maybe just hide the votes. Steve

Offline Traxx

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 04:23:52 pm »
I*ll be completely honest.I have never voted for BOM.Why?,because when you take something like what we have here n make it a contest,of any sort,this thread,is the result,and worse.To me,it kind of ruins the integrity of what this should be about.I have seen this happen to many things i have been involved with.Rather than there being a contest of sorts,i would rather just see peoples bows Showcased in the mag and on here.Show em all,regardless of the level of experience.I most time,enjoy seeing the begginners work the best.I enjoy watching their progress and self satisfaction.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 06:45:46 pm »
Traxx, My hat is off to you. Thank you for your thoughts!!!  8)   Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »
in my opinion the deffinition of "pretty" as used in describeing a bow, is aimed more toward the lean leathality of the weapon made with one's own hand from a branch or tree trunk. not really the looks. just my 2 cents.
lets just shoot it

Offline wytetale

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 10:47:40 pm »
I agree with Traxx, Instead of having to choose a bow , devote a page to two to show off all the bows. That way you can eliminate all the hee haw about bow of the month and stay focused on what we all really like to do Build Bows and learn new things.
                                                           Buck

radius

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 11:08:14 pm »
i think that THAT is the perfect suggestion.  That is a great answer...and if a limit must be made (due to space constraints in the mag) then do it by date...good idea, guys

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:37 pm »
ditto to that.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 11:22:51 pm »
Yep....Sounds like a Winner to me too....but I bet the Girls have already come up with the Fix on their Own....them two are Pretty Smart!!!     ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome