Author Topic: plain old boring wooden arrows with field tips  (Read 5845 times)

radius

plain old boring wooden arrows with field tips
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:25:10 pm »
hey!  Is there a place on this forum for plain old boring wooden arrows with field tips?  I've had some 3/8 by 3/8 by 32" spruce shafts laying around for a few months and yesterday i finally sent 6 of them through a 5/16" hole in a steel plate.  Fletched em up while watching a semi-interesting movie.  And today, after i finally make it back to the gym or out for a a hike, i will sand them down and glue on the points. 

I read that spruce is a very consistent wood, insofar as shafts of the same diameter and length will have the same spine within a very small range.  Any thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: plain old boring wooden arrows with field tips
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:30:48 pm »
Wood arrows are wood arrows. Post them here.    I have never used spruce so I can't help with that.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:44:34 pm »
pat, thanks, but they are WAAAAAAY too plain and boring!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:53:24 pm »
Plain and boring will do the same job as fancy with less worry! ;)   I like to see any wood arrows that folks make.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »
I really like a good Spruce arrow myself.Im a member of the plain ole arrow club as well.Round here,the arrow eatin rocks,convince a guy to tone down on all the fancy stuff.That is unless you never use em or dont mind lookin at all that hard work n chrome in pieces.LOL
If ya can,go ahead n show em.Id like to see em.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »
aint no such thing as a plain old boaring arra. any weapon that a man (or woman :P) makes with his own hands and is capable of takeing life is nothing boaring at all. mostly cuz i cant do it yet.  :P
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:05:08 am »
i like plain and boring.

mine,when finished,will be nothing more than a stick that is relitively straight,has a point on one end and a nock on the other with some feathers near the nock.now thats plain and boring.but if they fly striaght ill be happy as a clam
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 02:40:47 pm »
well I am plain and boring send em on down to me I will post them. post them lets see !
                                                                   Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:15:49 pm »
I made some plain and boring arrows myself the other night while I was in my room while on the road.  Went to Lowe's, bought some 5/16 dowels, put them in my jig and fletched and added some steel points I got at the Classic.  I haven't had a chance to shoot them at a target (or with a camera) so I don't know if they're worth the time or money I spent on them, which ain't much.  I'll try and post them later this week.  Please do the same man.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:40:16 pm »
well, okay...but i had a couple rainy days here, so they actually don't have points on them yet...i do all my woodworking outside (no shop just yet)...i also want to make some broadheads to put on them...but i guess i'll wait until the next batch