Author Topic: Buff hunting theories  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Traxx

Buff hunting theories
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:08:49 pm »
I have seen theories posted on Internet sites,books and even on Tv,concerning how Buff were hunted on horseback,by Native people with bow and arrow.Based on research,and experience,both actuall and obseved,i have reservations,Pun intended, ;D towards the notion,that the animal was shot,at point blank range from the archer while rideing their mounts alongside the intended target.To do so,would be way to dangerous an undertakeing.Although it most likely happened on occastion,i think it was an exception,rather than the rule.I liken the buff hunter useing a technique,very much the same,as a person ropeing a critter today.To stay back a way,and slightly quartering away.This promotes the animal running away from you and not duckin and divein as they run,makeing your throw or shot,more predictable.In essence,it is a manuever,which makes the animal think,they are outrunning you,and promotes foreward momentum.Often times,its not just in their mind.LOLAnyone who has ever run stock,especially wild stock,knows they are quick and agile.To run along side them,causes them to want to turn.If they havent been run hard or far and have the opening opposite you,they will turn away and often times,back the way they came.If the opposite side is blocked,as it probably was,in a herd situation and they were hot,as Buff dont take long to get,they will take a defensive attitude and go through you.Many liken this attitude primarily to Bulls,but i have seen it more prevalent in the Cows.They posess a maternal instinct,especially when they are nurseing.If a person,watches the Buff running sequence in DWW,you will see many of the riders,causeing this to happen,causeing all kinds of chaos.I doubt that would have been tollerated by the hunt leader,as it wouldnt be tolerated by the trail boss,on a cattle drive either.Its just not an efficient way of doing things,and makes for a very dangerous situation to riders and mounts.As for the shot process,it also seems more likely,as the shot would be away back and slightly quartering away.This would lessen the chances of rib and heavy bone being hit,inhibiting penetration.A hunter could place the arrow,behind the short ribs getting penetration to the vitals,I wish i could illustrate this,as to avoid confustion,and get a clearer picture for you.I feel,that to learn alot about how a buff was run and hunted,by the horseback archer,watch a good reining horse rider work a cow in a working pattern.Disscustion and comments are welcome.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Buff hunting theories
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:37:01 pm »
Your theory sounds more logical and way more safe for the rider/shooter. Like you said it gives you better shot placement into the vitals also. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:48:13 pm »
Traxx, I,ve done some team penning an your thoughts made perfect sense to me . I,ve over ran an turned more cattle than I care to admit, Partners not to happy when you turn them back by over running. If you stay behind an to the side they can see you an don,t panick. Once you go into there blind spot an then appear right there beside them they usually turn if they can.  Later Bob

radius

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:20 am »
hah!  when i read the title "buff hunting..." i thought you meant, hunting NAKED!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:19:18 pm »
Maybe,
deep down i did.LOL
Adds a whole new dimention to the danger factor now,dont it. :o

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:36:37 pm »
I have chased enough cattle wild or not to know better than to try to get right up on the side of a buff.  I was herding a 2 year old Semitol bull that I had to turn around.  He didn't like being pressured and didn't want to turn so he reached his big old noggin out there and hit my horse in the ribs.  He lifted my 1400# horse clear off the ground. I saw the same thing happen with a bull with horns.  He killed the horse right there in the field.  Cattle are real tame compared to buff.  I don't want to die and I like my horse.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah