Author Topic: new elm recurve finished!  (Read 11651 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

new elm recurve finished!
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:03:18 pm »
took a  little more patients than i would have normally had, but i finally got it done.  its American elm.
60" ntn and 64# @ 26 1\2 inches. real smooth, real quiet, no hand  shock.  overall, good hunting bow.
the tips are overlayed with black walnut capped in Osage. the grip is stitched deer hide dyed in natural b. walnut stain.   i started with zero reflex , i ended up with a solid 1\2" of string follow. probably my best executed tillering job yet- especially on a short 64# bow. the limbs are 1 3\4 wide for 2\3 of the length, following the grain, so there is a little variance, and then taper to 3\8 knocks.

the stave was cured for about a year and then i roughed it out and let dry out another month to stabilize. then i steamed a tip (Ryano's helpful suggestion) and let sit in the form for 2 days and then repeated for the other side.  then i let sit for about 2 weeks to dry back out a bit and then tillered slowly.  and now here we are.    thanks for checking it out- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Re: new elm recurve finished!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »
one more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:32:50 pm »
  That's a sweet looking bow Ryan. I just love that Static look. You really got some pounds out of that short bow. I need to get started on the nice piece of Elm that RyanO gave me quite awhile ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:41:42 pm »

hey ryan!  -  nice bow! really like the recurve/noch detail!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:48:34 pm »
That's one sharp bow you've built! I really like your bows- simple and to the point. The point being to put a point where you point :D.

Anyway. The grip and the overlays are definately top notch :).

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:06:12 pm »
that is a really good looking bow there!!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 06:11:16 pm »
Really nice static recurve, Ryan. The braced, unbraced and full draw look very good. Looks to be an excellent hunting bow.  ;) 8)
  You might consider rounding off the edges on the back and belly sides a bit more. That is dead weight anyway. You shouldn't loose any weight from doing this and it will help prevent a splinter from raising.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:25:55 pm »
thanks a lot guys.  pat: i rounded them off a bit (drug the knife across the edges and sanded them", not a whole lot, but enough not to raise a splinter, i assume you noticed the edge in the tip picture?  i left the back side edge of the tip a little sharper (b\c it doesnt bend much) so i would have a smoother transition to the tip overlay other wise i was afraid of having a slight glue gap or having to round the belly of the overlay before i put it on.  kinda hard to explain i guess. thanks for the concern though.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »
The tips is where I was seeing it. You have got it covered, just checking! ;D       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:03:30 pm »
no prob, i appreciate the constructive critisizm and concern.

mullet- do you have elm down your way. i find little groves of it around here.  mostly places i cant cut it, but sometimes i find it on jobs sites that will be cleared, actually i salvaged 2 really nice cherry staves from a tree that was taken down with a front end loader. if i would have shown up 5 minutes earlier, i would have had a truck load.  but you know how those machines rip wood apart.

Thanks Kegan, i like them pretty simple.  the knocks and grip are usually as fancy as i ever get.
   - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline david w.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
darn nice bow! i really like it.  the recurves and tips are really pretty
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 07:39:30 pm »
Ryan ....that is one Smooth Looking Bow....I like your design....Simple yet Showy...The Tips and Static Curves are great....hate to sound like a Broken Record...so I will quit and just say.....I Like It A Lot!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dano

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:13:13 pm »
Nice bow!! great job on the tiller.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Staver

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:34:51 pm »
I really like the looks of your new bow!  Great work!  I want my next bow to turn out half that nice, but my stave is full of worm holes :'(  Joe H

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:57 pm »
Nice bow.  Looks like one of those recurves gave you a hard time.  I've had that happen to me a few times.  Did you do any heat treating?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com