Author Topic: Ground pigs, (ground hogs)  (Read 7245 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Ground pigs, (ground hogs)
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:05:31 pm »
i saw one yesterday that im gona try and kill for the neighbors that was the size of a big beaver, this thing dwarfed small groundhogs, he was honestly probably a foot thick, he was huge!!! :) whats the biggest you fellers have seen?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Ground pigs, (ground hogs)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »
Hunter trapper, Make sure an keep your nose into the wind, Ground Grizzlys definitly use there noses, especially the big old survivoirs, Good Hunting Bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:31:30 pm »
yeah im sure they can smell ya they are smart...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:43:15 pm »
Can't wait to see the pictures of you with the old warrior of a ground hog after the hunt Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24:24 pm »
thanks man... i went out but only saw the one and he went into a hole so that was it. but ill go out after work hopefully tom...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:09 pm »
When they bust you and go into their hole, just hide nearby and wait about fifteen minutes. they'll usually poke their heads back out and look around in a few minutes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »
ok thanks but i want them to get far away if possible from the hole so if i hitem and they run they bleed out more and maybe i can stopem before they get there.....
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mitchman

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:38 pm »
a lot of times if you dont scare em too bad run up to there hole real quite and quick and stand behind it ready to draw. alot of time they will look in less than a minute and you pop em in teh head.  O:)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:01 pm »
ya still shootin the flinter or a bow?
lets just shoot it

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 03:00:11 pm »
yeah man... i missed a hog at 10 yards with 3 arrows... ;D ;D i stalked him and waited for him to come around a bend shot, missed, i ahd another arrow in my hand shot and missed again :D :D so he ran out there 20 yards i shot but missed by a foot, it was some i can say that, a nice big old hog too ;D ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 04:27:34 pm »
aw man, sounds like my luck. that sucks man. oh well, keep trying.
lets just shoot it

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:51 pm »
we got alot of groundhog last summer, one was a monster, we had tatics though. there was a fishhouse next to the pond, to the left was the garden. theyd go to the garden, then back to the fishhouse, ect ect. so we camped in a big silver maple tree, right inbetween this highway. well, i had a recurve, my cousin had a longbow, i believe. anaways, there was a monster, probibly as big as my dog, goijng across. so, i took a shot, missed , them my cousin took a shot. also a miss. :-\ the thing ran under the fishhouse. so, we jammed all the exits with plywood, except one, then put a smoke grenade (rip cord if you guys know that brand, got them from the sirplus store ;D)down there, and the thing ran out, both arrows hit him, the first (mine) square in the ass, then my cousin's 65 pound ELB (for deer) went clear through it, it entered somewhere in the rib cage. i think i have the pictures somewhere. didnt mean to put a story on your post, but that was one of my best memories of childhood  ;D
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 09:09:01 pm »
Once saw a neighbor with his Jack russel terrier's leash and a shovel - thought he was burying his dog, so we offered condolences and a hand.  We got to help him, but the dog wasn't dead - he was digging it and a very p.o.'d groundhog out of a hole! 

Got kinda hairy when we got that chuck outta there.... had to pin it down with the shovel, there was a brick involved,.... very poor planning on our part ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 04:55:31 pm »
haha! yeah, sometimes you need to resolve to redneck tatics, we had family of squirrels in our attic a few years back. mind you, this is after the live trap attempt- so my dad and i had a weekend of plinking in out attic, with a .177 pellet gun ;D  the one we hit was one of three groundhog we killed, out of weeks of hunting them and rabbit. there alot smarter than i thougt, i wouldnt laugh if someone washed in dead down wind, I might the next time i go fer them. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 09:36:53 am »
we aint got gophers down south, jist squirls and rabits.
lets just shoot it