Author Topic: pine pitch for hafting  (Read 3353 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
pine pitch for hafting
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
What is the best ratio and of what to make a good pitch that I can use to haft knapped points to shafts with that will not become soft in the heat.  I have some that someone sent me, and my arrows in the truck the other day, but it was rather warm, was sticking together and was very very soft.  Is there a good mixture out there that someone has tried for the heat. We hunt here in Va. in Sept and Oct. and it can get rather warm.  Any suggestion would be great.  And I know lots of people use a "hardwood" charcoal, but can you use cooking charcoal as well if it is ground up?  Or maybe evern the charcoal dust from a cookout?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: pine pitch for hafting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:42:25 pm »
here is my Receipe.....

4 parts pine pitch

1 part sifted wood ashes or ground charcoal bricquets (not instant lighting kind!)

1 part animal fat  such as rendered lard or beef tallow.  Vegetable oil may work as well.

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:33 am »
Epoxy mixed with charcoal looks like pitch glue but isn't effected by moderate heat.  I use regular pitch glue but don't leave my arrows in the car. ;D   I hunt in GA in Sept and Oct and 90+ degrees hasn't caused problems. Just be aware of where you put your arrows between hunts.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:04:26 am »
I have some pitch but I haven't used it for attaching points (maybe someday).  I just use hide glue or fish glue and then wrap with sinew....haven't had any problems with the heat (it's been up to 103o here in Midland lately and I'm sure it's 120o+ in my van).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr