Author Topic: "Sparrow Hawk"  (Read 10692 times)

Offline Kegan

"Sparrow Hawk"
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »
I owe a bow to the younger borther's of a buddy of mine. I started refinishing an old oak bow, but it tunred out to be veyr badly tillered and too awful to give them. So I looked through my old bows, dry staves (the two I have :D) and bows I never finished and found a one that worked, a 58" elm D bow pulling about 75+#.

After retillering (it kept the 1 3/4" set it had from before when I had tried tillering it green, but didn't gain anymore), narrowing the handle, and polishing it all off, it came out as a beutiful little elm flatbow. It's about 1 5/8" wide, with a slightly working West Coast Native American style handle. It's 58" long, 45# at 25"- heavy, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to lower it anymore; it shoots so well. I burnished the wood with an old glass jar and finished it with some floor wax. It's a simple little beauty, and showed me how to make a D bow/flatbow hybrid that even I can tiller ;D.

As for the name, it just came to me as I was working. Being such a small bow, and such a swift shooter I guess. Is a sparrow hawk even a real bird ????

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: "Sparrow Hawk"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:36 pm »
  SWEET!, Kegan. You sure lean towards the heavy side on the weight. Me too, ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:28 pm »
Thanks Mullet ;D! I'm glad I'm not the only one- means I'm not so crazy :D!

Here are the last pictures. I promised to give them some broadhead arrows fit for the bow and a good Dacron string when they get their hunting licenses.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:00:20 pm »
Love it Kegan, Nice simple hunting bow designed to make meat. Also a very nice gesture and great that your spreading the addiction ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cromm

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:02:03 pm »
Hi, Yes there is a bird here in the UK called the Sparrow Hawk. It is a great little bird!!! Well done on the name and bow. :D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
Thanks guys ;D! Last year while participating in a raft race in Oil City I chopped out a cherry flatbow with just a hatchet and immediately sparked almost eveyrone's interest. No that they have their own, I'm hoping they'll pass it on to their friends :).

And thanks Cromm, I'm glad to know I'm not making up animals again, and that the actual bird is a good one to name a bow after :).

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:14 pm »
Kegan, You bet there is a bird called a Sparrow Hawk !

At first i thought it was the sister to the "Sparrow" you traded me a couple of years back  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:00:59 pm »
SWEET Kegan! ;D

That thing is awesome! I really like that! :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »
Nice and simple  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:18:29 pm »
Great looking bow! Very nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:10:38 pm »
In the UK the Sparrow hawk is a small accipiter that is about the equivalent to our NA Sharp-shinned and Cooper's hawk combined.
 In North America the "sparrow hawk" is the American Kestrel. Both birds are small, fast and deadly. Good name for that bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:18:39 am »
As PatM said the "sparrow hawk" in America is the American Kestrel, Falco sparverius. 9" to 12" tall. Pretty much covers the continental US and lots of Canada. Its preys on insects, small birds and rodents. I hope the younger brother of your buddy has higher hopes with his "Sparrow Hawk"! ;)
   Kool little bow Kegan. I have always loved the simplicity of your bows. Our brains run on the same track...except for draw weight!!! :o :o :o     pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:02:29 am »
Good looking bow, Kegan, and way to go arming the neighborhood :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:23 am »
Great work.

Sparrowhawk is the name of the wizard hero in the La Guin Earthsea novels, who's secret true name is Ged.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:49 am »
Nice looking bow Kegan and way to spread it around...nice gesture! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...