Author Topic: hide glue ?  (Read 9856 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
hide glue ?
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:51 pm »
the knox gelitain you buy in the store is hide glue right? ???. Ok it might not be totally primitive but 1 step at a time.
what is the way you fellers use it. do you follow the instructions on the box ? or is there a better way to use it?  I need a little advice
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:49:19 am by nugget »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: hide glue ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:47:14 pm »
Knox works great. You want to mix it a lot stouter than the package instructions. Mix the powder with a bit of cold water, then heat it up in a double boiler or something that you can keep the temp about 120 or below. From there you can add water or powder until it's like thin syrup. It has to be heated to use. If you try mixing the powder in hot water to begin with, it clumps up really bad.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:16 pm »
the know gelitain you buy in the store is hide glue right? ???. Ok it might not be totally primitive but 1 step at a time.
what is the way you fellers use it. do you follow the instructions on the box ? or is there a better way to use it?  I need a little advice

Dissolve each envelope you use in 1/4 cup of water...set aside and let it soak it up...then warm the mixture up to where you can barely keep you finger in it...120-125 degrees.....you want to add more water if needed to get the Mixture like a thin Maple Syrup...the you are ready to go.....any other Questions?? You are better off with real Hide Glue but this will work

Well I guess we were typing at the same time Hillbilly!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:02:42 pm »
is this good for wood to wood?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:27 pm »
It's great for wood to wood....violin makers have been using hide glue forever.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
Once you are done do you just keep it in the fridge?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

radius

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:16:08 pm »
just seems strange to glue wood together with jello!

So, uh...can I eat yellow glue, too?

And what about moisture? 

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:18:20 pm »
Or pour it into something shallow so it spreads out thin and let it dry. Radius, Tim Baker tested Knox as being stronger than TB, URac, or almost any other glue for wood/wood. It's just not waterproof. All the old Turkish/Asian composite horn bows were put together with hide and fish glues.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:24 pm »
just seems strange to glue wood together with jello!

So, uh...can I eat yellow glue, too?

And what about moisture? 

C/Mon...you mean to tell me ....when you were young....you didnt piour glue on your School Desk...and let it fry....then eat it......ah...dont tell me I am the only weirdo that did this!!!!

I always seal my Hide Glue Sinew wrapped tips with Spar Varnish...keeps it from getting wet
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:35 pm »
  Nugget ,yea just put it in the frige until you need it next time. Just heat it up and add a little water, like heatin' up thin gravy.
  radius, yea you can eat it. Or use real hide glue, the gelatin out of the canned hams.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:22:48 pm »
Hell Spam is mostly Gelatin....like eating Hide Glue with some Meat Scraps....but I better not knock Spam....Manny might get mad....you know how them People from Hawaii get about their Spam!!!! ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »
i'd rather eat EPOXY than spam!

so let me hear this one more time:  I can glue backings on with jello or whatever, and that is stronger than PVA glue?  And as long as I protect it from moisture, it'll hold?  Tung oil be good enough?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:21 pm »
i'd rather eat EPOXY than spam!

so let me hear this one more time:  I can glue backings on with jello or whatever, and that is stronger than PVA glue?  And as long as I protect it from moisture, it'll hold?  Tung oil be good enough?

Never tried Tung Oil....but I have two Bows that are Sinewed with Hide Glue...and only sealed wit Beeswax and Tallow mix...works great...just have to redo it about twice a Year....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 11:28:18 pm »
  I've got cans in my Jeep stashed. The way gas is getting , it might start tasting real good. Hide glue to food, here we go. ;D That didn't take long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

radius

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:35 pm »
and so, does the jello have the shrinking properties that is supposed to be so good with sinew?