Author Topic: One Time LookyLou Members  (Read 37146 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: One Time LookyLou Members
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 07:50:33 pm »
first i am going to state that this just my opinion so as not to upset anyone,cause it seems everyone is getting upset over everything on here lately.

i dont think bribing people to vote or giving out prizes for who voted the most during a year would work either. the people one here that already do the voting would be getting all the prizes or whatever you want to call them.  i dont know what was meant by "there are 817 members who dont do anything for us and only 132 members with 100 or more post"
now does it really matter howmany post an individual has on the site? and just what should a member be "doing for us"?  

i havent been a member all that long,i have learned alot from the kind folks on here,i personally would be willing to do "something for us" if i was skilled enough to actually contribute more,but i am NEW to all of this just like so many members are,so what is it you would like us to do for you? would you like us to show off our lack of skills and our ignorance of the craft.well if thats what you want,i think we already are doing that. or is it just an ego thing? do you want us to praise your every achievment on your projects. when i joined this forum i thought it was here for us newbies to learn from the skilled craftsmen already on the site.so if thats what you want then here goes.
Damn you are the greatest bowyer ever,everything you create is just completly perfect in every way.someday i want to be just like you.

there does that fill the void in your ego for ya.?

i very seldom vote for BOM. not that i dont like the bows that are posted. i just dont feel it is necassary to vote every month. i vote in months when i feel there is  a bow that really inspires me or one that really just blew me away when i first seen it. i do feel that the BOM is nothing more than just a popularity/beauty contest of bowyers and bows.

i will however post when i have something to show,or a question to ask about something i'm working on or i have an opinion i feel that needs to be voiced,such as this post.

theres my rant,if it upsets anyone i'm sorry and ifn no one ever wants to reply to my post and or questions again it really wont bother or upset me,it will show me however just how juvenile and childish people really are(like i think most people in the world can be any how and why i am such a loner)

ok enough of that.   i hope everyone has a good day/night or what ever.

peace,  
                                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:21 pm »
Tim I admire your courage you decided to stand up and be counted and for that I say thank you :) You are 100% right BOM is a popularity/beauty contest
and the good ole boy factor plays into it. And yes its a contest regardless of what some of you think. I also believe there are some people on here that only post bows to in order to win BOM and add to their ego and their trophy case :o I believe many good suggestions were made on the other thread before Sarah locked it to further comment. PA's management should perhaps pay attention to the wishes and desires of the membership. Justin many times you have told me that BOM is a popularity contest perhaps as a administrator its time that you also take a stand. Sarah please don't lock this thread down Don asked and he runs the BOM contest, perhaps its time someone listened. And yes I realize I most likely won't have an account come morning but so be it, I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion without repercussions.

Just My Opinion Right or Wrong
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 08:55:50 pm »
They are going to have to bribe me to vote for a president of these united states this year, but I don't see that happining. ::)

I think the BOM is fine if we just hide the results till after the voting deadline.

Come on Mullet, lets hear from you!!! ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:04:57 pm »
Dano eddie is off hunting pigs, lucky him ;D Hiding the vote totals was also one of my suggestions ::)
Both as a member and as a moderator :D

Here's a question for all of ya: Is BOM a contest? yes or no?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:05 pm »
If there is a reward/award it is a contest.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:12 pm »
Dang Dano I do believe I made that point ::) The reward is a hat and a write up in PA hence its a contest ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 09:22:43 pm »
 Come on guys lets not hash this again. The way I read the post Don was just asking for ideas to help inspire people to vote. I was just offering and idea with the heart of donating something like a bow to try to help encourage people to take part. And at the same time prompt others to help build this community.
  This is a site for new people to learn and BOM dosen't take from that at all. It's a proven fact that if people dedicate time into something they will take more ownership and responsibility in it.
  There's nothing childish about looking for ways to help something be better and giving things away to inspire people dosen;t mean that you are bribing or bidding for there vote's.  
  If some of the bowyers on here want to contribute an item to give at the end of the year how is that bribing. no one would have to know what came from who and the voting would be over anyway.

Sorry Don, I guess in this day and age it's hard to try to do something nice without qetting slammed.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 09:30:08 pm »
The majority of the members (now 1295) logon once and register as members never to return.   >:(Typically less than one hundred vote for BOM. I have brought this up before, but I wish the forums could be accessible without registering as new member.  Any thoughts out there? :-\

Don
I would not want anyone that is not a member to participate in BOM or any other action inside this board except to view.  The registration procedure is involved enough to make it too much of a bother for those that don't have a committed interest.  Then there's the spammers.  No I like it the way it is.

Dana
PA does pay attention to its members but there is a limit.  In the end they pay the bills and therefore they should be in control. Isn't that the way it is in every business?

The way I see it.  If the win is had by any means other than an honest one then the winner has a marred win.  This system is far from perfect and intelligent people should realize that and make allowances for it.  Anything else indicates slightly neurotic behavior.  :o
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
Keenan I admire your optimism, and yes Don asked for suggestions to increase voting. Offering a prize for voting isn't the answer, people will vote if they chose
and I did offer a suggestion for increasing votes and that is to change the contest to be more fair. I don't don't believe anyone is slamming anyone or BOM. We are offering our opinions plain and simple and as such they should be considered and not just disregarded. We the members make this site what it is and as such all of our opinions should matter not just a few members opinions. As I already pointed out I'm pretty sure most people on here don't really care about BOM one way or another and this fact is proven true by the lack of voting. Once again just my opinion right or wrong.

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 09:35:41 pm »
Marc your right PA pays the bills and its their site to do with as they please. I stand corrected.

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:17 pm »
 in any type of contest there are winners and losers,losers get jealous of the winners over time. like in anything,there are those on here that are more skilled(and even i admire them)than others are.myself i am very unskilled yet. i dont build any bow with the intent or even a thought of BOM,i do look at all the post for it each month. if im inspired ill vote.

i dont see why people that do join the site and only visit once or twice are scrutinized for it. as long as people are looking even once or twice they know it exist.
maybe they dont have continual access to the net. i have been to alot of sites and looked around once or twice,and decided it was not for me.never felt i had an obligation to be on a site all the time. i spend most of my none work related time on this.this i do by choice. because i like trying to build bows. i havent found another site that gives someone like me a place to seek advise and hopfully gain wisdom from the ones that are skilled. i didnt join or come back because of BOM.i dont feel it should be dropped either. some tweaking may be necessary.but i will continue to come back to look at post of others work to get inspried by,ask qustions to learn by regardless.

just my very humble thoughts and opinions

peace,
                                                                            tim

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 09:57:11 pm »
I have said this before but I will say it again.  I asked Don many years ago to stop putting my bows in BOM.  He refused to do so.  For awhile I stopped including a full draw pic so that it would give Don no choice  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:26 pm »
and just what should a member be "doing for us"? 
                                                                                      peace,   
                                                                                            tim
Tim, you are contributing. Questions by new members often bring facts or opinions to the attention of everyone, that experienced bowyers have overlooked. I often learn something that I never would have thought of.  In reguards to the accounts that were deleted, they were people that had for the most part never logged on after registering.  No accounts were deleted that have even logged on in the last 90 days. Some accounts have never posted but have logged on so they were not deleted.  I agree with you that we should error on the side of caution when deleting accounts and so does PA. 

Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 10:14:55 pm »
Guys, in the end it is what Primitive Archer as a magazine decides. A business is a business after all and they are out to make a living. If it enhances the readership and number of people reading and adding articles to the magazine then they will, in the end, continue to do BOM. Personally, I think the voting should be left up to and impartial committee of voters that do not have a stake in the game but have built bows for a very long time and have a bundle of knowledge about it under their belts. But it should not be allowed to become a popularity contest.

But, as I said before its the people who own the magazine and the website that will make the final decision and not us. We can put our oar in the water but we dint steer the ship.

In any event I will continue to make bows and not participate in the BOM since I don't like any form of competition except with myself. I find it to be decisive and frustrating to those who are just beginning to enter any hobby or sport. Don't get me wrong, there are good forms but when it comes to something we love to share making it into a competition seems to turn it into a less of an open environment for the exchange of ideas.  

How about the magazine itself pick and choose the bow it thinks is the best of the month?  Seems more fair to me all around and takes the competition out of it.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55:23 pm »
thats sounds like a sound and fair idea there.

the magazine could pick a fair and impartial and anonymous voting commitee made up of what could be considered expert bowyers. it is the magazines web site and "contest". this way they can be the ones to decide if another experienced bowyer or a first timers bow is better. they could keep it from being a popularity contest maybe not a beauty contest,cause some folks just like to make em pretty. i prefer to make em work first,i'll worry about pretty after i feel i can make em.

i think this idea may just be on the right track.

peace,
                                                              tim