Author Topic: Warbow-along  (Read 22244 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Warbow-along
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »
Your right Grant...a True Warbow was just that....a Basic High Draw Weight Arrow Tossing Machine....No Frills...just Deadly....and I think you did a great Job of capturing that in this Bow.....I love it!! I just tie a piece of Rawhide around My Handle on them where the Arrow is set....this gives you a reference on where to lay the Arrow to keep it the same every shot....works for Me....might work for you too....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 09:08:43 pm »
Good Idea! I think I will do that tonight with my bow.

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

grantmac

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »
I have found that shooting these sort of bows (I've made lighter ones) you don't really need a mark after a while. The arrows will leave a little mark and also as you get used to the bow you will change hand and nock position to where it feels best. When I'm shooting them in I don't even use a marked nocking point I just go by what looks right.
So far this bow has been great to shoot, especially with the heavier arrow I made. The tips are still about 1.5" behind the handle with the set very even. The next one will definately be at least 4" longer, maybe more. I have at least one rediculously larget piece that would make a 7' bow 2" wide! I'll save that for last.
Now all I need is to find some horn for nocks, although not until I get up to a weight that requires them.
      Cheers,
            Grant

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 01:47:22 pm »
 Grant that sure is a beautiful rendition of a long bow. Great job. I've never shot one but I bet it makes you feel like you are at Argincourt or whatever that famous battle was ( no offense to those that care). I'll bet that ERC belly is gorgous in real life.Once again great job.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

grantmac

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 09:30:54 pm »
Why thank you! I've got another bow along these lines mostly roghed-out and I'm looking forward to upping the weight and length some.
The ERC is definately lovely wood to work and to hold. Very warm and soft in the hand. Unfortunately it's also rather easy to dent. I'm going to try burnishing the next one to make it stronger.
 Cheers,
         Grant

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 02:32:32 am »
Dang, I feel another project coming soon.

Offline Boro

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:17 am »
Grant, that is a great bow You made.
Excuse my ignorance, earlier in this thread an eliptical and kompass tiller was mentioned, could someone explane to me the difference between the above two?
Thanks in advance.

Boris
Zagreb, Croatia

grantmac

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »
It is a refernce to two different types of warbow tiller. Most bows are tillered to be eliptical with the tips bending most and the handle bending very little at full draw. Some warbows are tillered to the arc of a circle with much more bend in the handle. This is because there are some literary references to bows that (I'm probably misquoting here) "bend to the arc of the compass".
This bow is pretty close to an arc of the compass bend, it had to be to get the drawlength from it's relatively short length. In the future I will be making my bows longer and using a more eliptical bend.
Hope that makes sense,
                        Grant

Offline Boro

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 08:20:47 am »
It sure does. Thank You Grant. ;D

Boris
Zagreb, Croatia