Author Topic: Books for backpack bowhunting?  (Read 5363 times)

Wittefish

Books for backpack bowhunting?
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:41:26 pm »
Hello all, I am planning on doing a backpacking bowhunt on N. Manitou Island (Michigan) this fall and was curious if anyone has ever seen a book on this type hunt? Doesn't have to be for deer exactly, just looking for any bowhunting out of a backpack book in general. I am a fairly experienced backpacker so a nuts and bolts book isn't necessary, just something to help pass the time until I can go.

Offline StanM

Re: Books for backpack bowhunting?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:05 am »
Although it's authored by a compound bowhunter, I believe that Cameron Hanes has written a book on just this subject that might have some good info for you.  I think it's called Back Country Bowhunting, but don't quote me on that.  Try a Google search.
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:16 am »
Another compound shooter, Dwight Shuh, put out a pretty good book about Backcounty hunting some years back. I think you can still find it on ebay and Amazon without much trouble...

Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
I didnt like Cameron Hanes's book. It was mainly a collection of hunting stories he had previously published in Eastmans Bowhunting Journal, and it really takes the overall feeling of him tooting his own horn about how he runs 100 mile races, and scouts longer and hunts harder than anyone else. 8)
  I've done a handful of backpack hunts now in the wilderness areas here in Colorado,  and from my experience, nothing that I do now, or plan to do this season, is something I picked up from a book.   Most of it is trial and error, previous experiences, etc.
  The best resource for backpack hunting I have found is over at bowsite on the elk forum.  'Bout any question you can imagine regarding backpack hunting has been asked and answered over there.
  Good luck on your hunt!  Its definitely the most rewarding style of hunting I have ever done

Titan_Bow
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Wittefish

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:44:28 pm »
Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Offline StanM

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:36:29 am »
Titan-Bow,

Thanks for posting that Cameron's book is not very useful.  I live in the same town and don't care for him personally, so I've never read the book.  Funny to me that you mention it is mostly about him tooting his own horn. 
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon