Author Topic: Latest creation ( may be my new hunting partner )  (Read 14477 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Latest creation ( may be my new hunting partner )
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:26 am »
Your bow turned out really well, I like it! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:27 am »
Well thanks guys . I am proud of it. This one may have to stay around my house for a while. This one has not been promised to anyone .  ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 10:08:05 am »
Nice job on that one. No coment on the kilt......lol.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:18 am »
I have been told I should keep my mouth shut in the past about tiller but others have said they really want to know what I think.

The top picture shows a hinge about 10" down from the tip and the last foot of the bottom limb is not bending at all. I would straighten these areas out ,but again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and lots of folk think the tiller looks great on this bow.

Last time I critiqued a tiller honestly I got some real nasty PMs saying I was brutally honest and the first time bowyer would probably never make another bow if the work he was so proud of was criticized. In the above mentioned case the bow came out of the fades stiff as a board for a foot, had a big hinge on both limbs then was only slightly bending to the tips. Everyone chimed in with "great tiller", I didn't see the same thing as they did and offered some suggestions for correcting the tiller.

Let me know, if you guys would rather me not offer my two cents worth, I will back off on tiller assessments.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:31 am »
  Eric, I think you have shown you have a good eye for tiller. I also agree honesty is the best when given with good intentions as I am sure you always do. This particular bow I was taking some of the knots into consideration. They can throw a tiller off a bit but still give a good shooting bow. I have had my butt chewed ot for the same thing. Call is as you see it and the bowyer can take it as he wants! Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:08 am »
Looks like you honored osage with this one. Bookmarked for June Self BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline nugget

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:23:05 pm »
Well I think if you can't take the opion of another bowyer do not post on a web page. Pictures on here may not show the bow in its true form . The camera puts weird shadows and angles on a bow. I see what Eric was saying. On my tillering tree it looks different.
I appreciate all comments and opinions. Even if they are flawed  ;)  ;D
Just kidding .
T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 01:35:21 pm »
Looks pretty good TJ, I like the hemp handle wrap, did you seal the handle with anything?

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
Eric, you are an experienced bowyer and have built many beautiful well tillered bows. Your opinion is always welcome here. ;)   I do see what you are talking about in the top and bottom limb.       
Like TJ said, if you can take the opinions of others don't post on the web. Constructive criticism is what helps us get better at our craft.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »
LOVE IT!  bow and the kilt!!  
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline nugget

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
Dana I sealed the handle with Titebond 3 . It dries clear and you can still get traction from the hemp

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »
You said:
" Here are more pics"..... well you showed the bow but I was hoping for more pics of that skirt....

HA... just ribbing U TJ.... Love the Bow... and the... what's it called again.. :)

honestly. Bow is awesome. I like that you went to a built up arrow rest rather than a cut in. JMO but I dont like the cut ins as well. Your skills are noticeably improving this bow is top rate.

On the tillering comments. I would rather folks say it how they see it. I would want the truth even if it is harsh. and as well pointed out by TJ the camera can throw funny angles on a pic.

later guys.
Hope to see this bow at pats this summer. But I dont know about the kilt.. .you might wanna leave that one at home. :)
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 06:32:54 pm »
nice bow. one of these days im gonna make a shootable one.
lets just shoot it

Offline ScottH

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 07:13:51 pm »
Nice bow, I like the handle idea. I think that would be more weather resistant than leather. May have to try that on my next bow.
Eric, you are an experienced bowyer and have built many beautiful well tillered bows. Your opinion is always welcome here. ;)   I do see what you are talking about in the top and bottom limb.       
Like TJ said, if you can take the opinions of others don't post on the web. Constructive criticism is what helps us get better at our craft.        Pat
I know as a begining bowyer I value the opinions and constructive criticism of other more experienced bowyers than myself. I want to get better at building bows as quickly as possible while attending the school of hard knocks the least amount of time. ;D

Offline Postman

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
Nice bow - love the handle. How did you get the 2-tone effect? Also, where does one get hemp cord?

(....Ok guys, have at it with the glaucoma jokes....)   
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA