Author Topic: easy bow "bench"  (Read 9117 times)

Offline Postman

easy bow "bench"
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:56:07 pm »
Came up with an easy to move, versitile, durable bench for shaving and other bow work. The local landfill hand several of these cable spools on hand fre for the taking.  After bolting a vise on it, I quickly came to prefer this setup to the traditional bench I had made for several reasons:
1. When de-barking, it is srtronger and more stable - especially tying that handle on the spool's bottom to a log really let me whale on a stave splits with more leverage than I could get "In the saddle" of a shaving horse.
2. Being able to orient a stave so the table surface acts as a guide for the drwknife allowed fairly aggressive , controlled wood removal
3. the vise can be rotated and blocks used to  set up any desired angle, and stave is easier to "get to" by sitting, standing, kneeling ect. = 4. easier on my back- not always sitting in same position
5. Rolls in/out of my basement easier than lugging the horse
6. more  useful for the occasional NON- bow job.
7. Hole in center of coil quickly swallows up scraper, leading to a fun-filled, 20 minute fishing expedition  :D (gotta close that up.....)

Now if i can just keep some of the beautiful reflex on that sucker.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:59:48 pm by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: easy bow "bench"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:14:40 pm »
That's a great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:07:01 pm »
....the solution to all my problems!! yeah, great idea!!
lets just shoot it

Arthur Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:49:29 pm »
Keeping the mess out side  ::)...BRILLIANT!!!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:52 pm »
I know just where to get one of them spools too!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Phillip K

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:03:50 am »
I definetly like the simplicity of the Spool Bench Good Idea, used to use one of those for a table, thanks for reminding me I thinkthat will work better than my work mate bench, it makes to much noise when I stay up late. 8)PK

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:50 am »
We have a couple of spool benches up at our club. Been using them for a couple years now. Your right they do work pretty good.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Minuteman

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:38 pm »
Eeyup  they do work well. You can always sand bag the bottom too if you need a bit more ballast . They aren't treated lumber so keeping them up off the ground is a good idea, they last longer that way. ;D