Author Topic: inconsistant grouping  (Read 6139 times)

Offline benjamin

inconsistant grouping
« on: July 04, 2008, 05:20:55 pm »
I was shooting the other day at 20 yards and getting all my arrows grouped about dinner plate size. My next round, I fit all my arrows together within a inch diamiter... all six arrows bunched together as if they had a rubber band around them. Every round after that, I was back to my dinner plate size grouping. Agrivating. Has anyone else done this and managed to cure it? I'd really like to get that grouping back.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: inconsistant grouping
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »
Strict discipline.....Constant Anchor......Perfect release.....every time.......you have to be methodical .....and program yourself....so that every release is the same as the first........but dont listen to me!!! I am still at the Dinner Plate part of this Process..... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »
 Benjamin, I think any would be thrilled to have a group of 1" at twenty yrds. That would be an excellent round to say the least.Dinner plate is more the norm for most. Consistant release and form are always the most common factor. But just to eliminate the equipment factor you might try marking each arrow and see if any certain arrows are flying different. A lighter spined arrow or heavier arrow can throw you off real easy.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:50:47 pm »
Is a certain amount of wobbling normal or inevitable... acceptable? Or should the arrow be thrown out if it doesn't fly lazer beam straight? I thought I was doing pretty good with my home depot dowels.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »
well if they have to fly like Carbon Arrows......then all of mine are Trash!!! They all Fishtail some....some worse than others
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:45:32 am »
one inch groups would be sweeeeeeet dude, ;D

but ifn ya think about it,dinner plate sized aint all that bad at 20 yds. thats still the vital are of a whitetail. man i am totaly happy with that from trad. gear.

i aint by no means a great hunter.,just a hunter that thinks that if you can group like that without any issues you'll do all right brother.
i dont htin i would try shooting farther than that untill i improved my skills though,but hell at 20 yds i would let it fly at a deer sized target ;D ;).

peace brother,
                                                                                    tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 02:59:43 am »
Dang, I wouldn't be worried about a thing Benjamin.  The fact that you shot a really tight grouping means that your mind was "focused".  Your brain is simply slacking off a bit (on the subsequent rounds) because it has already proved to itself that it can perform well.

If you could group your arrows that tightly on every round....you'd be shooting in the Olympics and not in your back yard. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:31:52 am »
Can you put 1 arrow in the kill zone at 20yds every or almost every time?   Groups of arrows in the target can make concentration difficult.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:37:22 am »
I go by My First Shot at the Target....I try normally to go outside with One Arrow.....and Shoot it......and concentrate on placement.....and do a lot of walking between My Bag and back!! Too many Arrows causes too much confusion to me....makes the Target too Busy...plus if you just shoot once....and go get it...you have time to relax and reflect on what you did wrong or right with the Shot ....and mentally break it down as to what needs to be done to correct things...if any is needed  Consistency is a programmed responce....repetition is the key to better accuracy....at least for Me it is....JMO........... O:)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
You are getting to worried about grouping and your concentration is suffering.  Try 1 shot groups. Shoot 1 arrow walk down and get it then shoot 1 arrow again.  Your groups will always be tight.  ;D More importantly you are able to concentrate better.  We aren't after quantity of arrows in the target, just a good shot on the first arrow every time. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 11:14:46 am »
                                             Dang..are we in a Cave here.......I hear an Echo!!!!!!! 8)
2024...We Will Overcome