Author Topic: breaking tooooo many  (Read 13456 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: breaking tooooo many
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
  Well Mike, the boo you have growing is Japanese arrow 'Boo, good stuff. Jape, I hit one of Pappy's metal targets with my bamboo arrow and all it did was split from the point to the fletching. That was from about 15 yards with a 62# bow, made nice sparks. It is still shootable if I wrap it.

I am straightening Cane as I type....never done it before ....so I am going slow....got to be better that these Balsa Wood Arrows I got now!!!! You look at them wrong and they break!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:02 pm »
  Mike, when you go to cut the knock; there is a stiff side to cane. That side needs to be against the handle. You can lean the arrow, one end on the floor and the other end against a table, and with your palm applying enough down pressur to bend it slightly roll it slow. When you roll to the stiff side it will flip real fast. Mark that side and line your knock up so that is against the handle. Hope this makes sense.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
The stiff sides are usually where the branches attach at the nodes(flatter side of the node).
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 10:40:58 pm »
Makes good sense....will do that here in a couple days ...when I have worked all of the Ginks out of this Cane!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:58 am »
my two cents worth:  ;D

im an idiot. i aint broken any of my poc shafts. what's up with your shafts man?!  ???

anyhow. cane should be MUCH tougher. just be carefull with yer knocks and points.  ;)
lets just shoot it

DBernier

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 07:44:42 am »
Mike, please just get closer to the hay bale, even 10 yards. Do that until your group is 6 inch's with 6 arrows. THEN move back in 5 yard increments.

Dick

jape

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 10:20:20 am »
6" at 6 yards? Blimey, I miss the haybale twice at 15! But I am improving, meanwhile, I will blame the arrows a bit thanks.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 06:54:41 pm »
I never practice with a New Bow at more than 20 foot....and the problem with the Arrows is ...that the least bump between Arrows when Target Practicing...and the POC Arrows will split or splinter....I hit the Cedar Fence with one that barely missed the Tennis Ball I was shooting at...and it blew 3 inches off the end...along with the Nock and a Feather...but my main bitch about the Cedar Arrows is inconsistency in spine....per weight...they are so off ...this last 24 I bought...all weighed within 20-25 grains.....I took them down to the same weight....and when shooting them...out of the 24.....I have 7 that group together consistently....the others are all over the Place....I don't have a Spine Tester....so I just color coded all of the Arrows that hit Left....and those that Hit Right consistently...so I know which are over and under spined ...I am looking for some kind of Hardwood Shafts for 3D Shooting...but I don't care for the Ramin....they are too thin for the Weight....I am partial to a fatter Arrow....don't know why!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cromm

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:50 pm »
Hi,
OK how do you spine test an cane/bamboo shaft? There's a website that is selling tonkin shafts but they are unspined and you have to do it yourself.....But i don't want to buy 24 of them and only get 3 good ones for my cash/ bow! Also are you looking for ones that are the same size as 11/32 or 5/16 POC shafts, because i do not know??? Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

jape

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 08:40:29 pm »
I'm fed up with all this technical stuff and expensive tools and products that aren't what they say they are. I just bought a load of 11/32 field points and the taper is different to the taper tool taper, (yes I did check which end!) also they are too small for the 11/32 shafts but too big for the 5/16! So what is wrong, the point or the shaft?

I'm just going to take a breath, buy some dowel, dry the boo and then I am gonna MAKE them work. I'm not going to spine test any more, I will bare tune each shaft to whatever length they require down to my draw length, then match them by length afterwards into sets and fletch and paint or whatever. The only ones rejected then will be ones way too light that won't take the strain and they can be tuned for the longbow.

No more POC, I just worked out I spent more than $400 on making arrows in my first eighteen months and I got 10 left. That's ridiculous. I don't think my ancestors purchased shafts from 3000 km away, used spine gauges or fletching jigs, and I got all my fingers, a reasonably well working brain and nature around me so that will have to do!

Offline Cromm

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »
Good for you Grumpy!!!!
I've found that with the brass point's that if i taper the shafts all the way then that's too much and they don't sit on the end,so i maked on the taper tool how far i needed to go down and that worked for me....... Hope that helps a little? :P
A little bit of sanding may be needed on the ends,so your tool will fit.. ::)
Because i've had the samething happen to me with the 11/32 POC shafts.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline billy

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:38 pm »
Jey Jape,

I don't like Port Orford cedar either.  The damn arrows are straight, but just aren't durable worth a damn.  I prefer to use rivercane (a native bamboo to the SE United States).  When you make your own shafts, you really have control over length, spine, etc.  My rivercane shafts fly just as good as the cedar (if not better) and they are much more durable. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 12:57:19 am »
  Cane, Tonkin, arrow boo or sasha boo is all I hunt with and 3-D shoot. The only shafts of wood I've been happy with is some barreled tapered pine shafts I get from a gentleman in Alabama that sells shafts for a living. Somebody can PM me if they want to know who it is.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 10:58:25 am »
jape, I think you are having arrow flight issues. The arrows  should fly straight to the target with no porpoising or fishtailing. You should see nothing but fletch all the way in. My guess is they are way overspined. 45# shafts don't usually shoot well out of
#35 bows even when left full length. Bare shaft tuning isn't of much use with wooden arrows. You probably didn't want to hear this. My site may help you with tuning and making arrows. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Bueskytter

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »
I'm really surprised about this. I've been using POC shafts for about a year on a 60lb longbow, I've never had a single one break. Bamboo is a great material for shafts and is nigh indestructible, but it's not exactly a traditional material outside of Asia and Sub-saharan Africa.

Have you tried Sitka Spruce shafts? Their reputation is generally very good and I've had no problems with them.