Author Topic: Cutting/slabbing coral  (Read 8498 times)

DBernier

Cutting/slabbing coral
« on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:13 am »
I got my 10" diamond saw blade running and was going to slab up some Florida coral to Heat Treat it over at Pat's at the end of July. Good lord this stuff is hard. Its like trying to cut it with a soft hacksaw blade. I got about 100# of this stuff. The question is would it be easier to cut it after HT? or do you think it would be just as hard. The reason I want to slab it is to not waste any of it. Anybody got any answers.  :-\

Dick
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:02:36 am by DBernier »

Offline DanaM

Re: Cutting/slabbing coral
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:06:56 am »
I bet Eddie will know. Didn't know you knapped Dick.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
Dick, I think it would be easier to cut after. However, the big concern is that the pieces will be to thick and heat unevenly causing it to fracture or explode. I would hate to see that. If you get tired of cutting that hard stuff you can always send it to me.  ;D But then, if you don't get tired of cutting it you could slab it all and then send it to me.  ;D ;D ;D  ::) Justin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:36:59 am by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:11:12 pm »
Hey DanaM, yes I do pound on some rocks once in a while. I took a short class with Vinson Minor and he has been there for every question I needed answered. I cannot attach any photos because I get an error message about my "upload folder is full" what ever that is.

Justin, If and when I get it cut etc I will send you some. I owe you for that Obsidian I got from you at Pappys.

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:14:06 pm »
No Dick, you dont owe me anything.  That was a gift not a trade.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

DBernier

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:12 pm »
OK Justin, thank you again for the gift. I will send you a gift if and when we "get er done". So what is this "upload folder"?

Dick

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »
So what is this "upload folder"?

Dick
It is the folder designated for storage of uploaded files like pictures or video.  I increased the size so you can post pictures again.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »
  Dick, If you don't want to wipe your blade out quit now. You need an oil bath saw to cut coral and then it is still not quick. The only way to heat treat it is to reduce it down by spalling, and then it is hard to cut because of the irregular shape. So you just beat it on out.  You have to have an oil bath or a lot of credit at Home Depot for blades.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:04 pm »
See I told ya Eddie would know ;D Dick I like gifts also :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DBernier

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
Thanks Eddie. I probably can do an oil bath with my set-up. I am using a table saw I custonized and isolated the motor from the liquid. I will check and see what oil I have to use and go from there. I have a bunch, small bucket, from Chris that I don't have to cut. I'll take that over with me.

DanaM, your on. I'll save a couple pieces each for you and Justin.

OK Here are the photos DanaM of my first points.

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »
Eddie, that is exactly why I use my brother in laws tile saw.  >:D

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:06:46 pm »
So Eddie, lets say a guy does have access to a oil lube saw.  Do you cut first then heat, or heat then cut? Justin

SW Utah

brian melton

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:51 pm »

Cut then heat treat. Your table saws RPMS are too fast you MUST slow it.

Brian

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:42 pm »
   Yep, just like Brian said. You can go high speed if you have sufficient cooling. Which most rock saws don't have. And the quality of diamonds are not as good as the ones I use getting deep rock cores.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:11:42 pm »
Them look real good Dick!! Don't know anything about slabbing or cutting - have always spalled. Maybe I'll try that sometime :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.