Author Topic: Crossguns in the Pa bow season!!!!!!  (Read 20197 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Crossguns in the Pa bow season!!!!!!
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »
  Im not sure how this floats twards the no politics rule, so if i screwd up im sorry. but I just thought id give everyone the heads up. The pennsylvania game commission is tryin to get crossbows leagalized in the regular bow season again.  >:( >:( >:( i read it in an article in the Pennsylvania Outdoor News. there is one commissioner by the name of Boop that is against it, but from the sounds of it the rest are all for it. There is gonna be a study done to see if it will effect the game in any way... but im pretty sure its a stacked deck. but thats not all...the only ones pushing it are the crossbow manufacurers!

quote,"The previous attempts at leagalizing crossbows for the archery deer seasons were all sparked by requests from crossbow manufacturers, dealers, and state lawmakers." - Wes Waldron UBP president (page 15, article Crossbows. Vol. 05, No.14 Pennsylvania Outdoor News)

The United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania are fighting it. and im not sure how to go about doing it, but im sure they would appreciate some help in the fight. probably a letter or phone call to the state rep would be a start.

I wasnt gonna post this, i figured somebody else probably would, but the more i thought about it the more upset it got. thanks for lettin me vent!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Crossguns in the Pa bow season!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:10:27 am »
Thanks for the heads up Phil. Thats all we need to totaly screw up our already messed up archery season. First early muzzle loader, and youth senior rifle and now this. They'll have the whole frikin orange army out in the woods, we wont stand a chance at killing a deer with a bow. I hate the pa game commission. Thier all about making money and nothing about satifying the hunters wants or needs.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:23:47 am »
i guess i dont under stand the big deal over cross bows during bow season.  whats so bad about that?

they are no more effective than a bow,for most they are only good to about 30-35 yds. most individuals will treat it like thier rifles/shotguns. a week or two before season theyll go out and shot it 10-20 times and figure thats good enough.

i do agree with you on the fact that its the manufacturers pushing for it. last year here they allowed it across the boards for gun season,no special gimp permit needed now,and the prices literaly doubled overnight because it caused a craze for it. it all of a sudden became the way to hunt deer during gun season,alot of gunners left the barrel at home and bought a new crossbow.

me myself, i'll stick to me stick ;D

peace,
                                                                                       tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:26 am »
Are there any stipulations on who can use a crossbow?  Oklahoma allows them but only to those with a certified disability.  I think that is sometimes abused, just like the criteria to get a handycapped parking stickers.  ::)

I hope it works out for you. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:53:03 am »
Are there any stipulations on who can use a crossbow?  Oklahoma allows them but only to those with a certified disability.  I think that is sometimes abused, just like the criteria to get a handycapped parking stickers.  ::)

Mike

In Texas and Michigan for that Matter....you have to have a Major Limb Impairment before you can use a Crossbow during Bow Season....but what the way I read it....they are trying to open it up for all Hunters to be able to Hunt Bow Season ....with a Crossbow
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:23:57 am »

Mike

In Texas and Michigan for that Matter....you have to have a Major Limb Impairment before you can use a Crossbow during Bow Season....but what the way I read it....they are trying to open it up for all Hunters to be able to Hunt Bow Season ....with a Crossbow

Mike I believe its for anyone 65 and older. Ryano you think your DNR is messed up come to Michigan and you will see corruption and politics like you wouldn't believe >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:38:25 am »
Until last year crossbows in Tn were only legal for handicap folks. They were allowed in the 2007 season, I'm not sure what impact they had. I'm hunting on private property, so it didn't really affect me. I would prefer they were not allow however.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:25:05 am »
I'm with Greg,hunting mainly on my farm,heck I don't even Let guns [except for the kids]
so it hasn't bothered me,but I will say it has brough a lot more none bowhunters to the woods.
Not because they are so much more efficient but because they are easier to learn to shoot
fairly accurate.I don't have a problem with being able to hunt with the cross bow, just a
problem with them in bow season. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:36:12 am »
Pappy here in michigan anyone can use a crossbow during gun season and thats fine, you have to be partially or permanently disabled to use one
during bow season. There is a bill in Congress here to allow anyone 65 or older to use one in bow season >:( and its just a stepping stone to allow anyone to use one. DNR wants to sell more licenses so they can waste more money I guess ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:14:00 am »
Good luck on trying to keep them out, they have been trying for years to get them into the bow season here in Wi.....so far they can only be used for people 65 and over or with a Docs note. It would be a bad thing i think if they were allowed into the regular archery season !

Good luck on you'r fight !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Ryano

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:08:25 pm »
i guess i dont under stand the big deal over cross bows during bow season.  whats so bad about that?

they are no more effective than a bow,for most they are only good to about 30-35 yds. most individuals will treat it like thier rifles/shotguns. a week or two before season theyll go out and shot it 10-20 times and figure thats good enough.

i do agree with you on the fact that its the manufacturers pushing for it. last year here they allowed it across the boards for gun season,no special gimp permit needed now,and the prices literaly doubled overnight because it caused a craze for it. it all of a sudden became the way to hunt deer during gun season,alot of gunners left the barrel at home and bought a new crossbow.

me myself, i'll stick to me stick ;D

peace,
                                                                                       tim

Tim, If you've never been to Pennsylvania during gun season you wouldn't understand. We have more hunters here than deer or acers of huntable land for that matter. Gun season brings out all the slather a## hunters that don't know what there doing, don't practice with their weapon and don't care about others, or there property. If they legalise cross bows for archery season everyone of these slather a##es with have one out tromping around the woods trying to put on deer drives and trespassing on private property like they do in gun season.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:57:20 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Ryano

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:51 pm »
In short its not the weapon so much that bothers me. Its the A-holes it tends to draw in.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
Well said Ryan,that is kind of what I ment. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 12:48:57 pm »
Here in Western Canada, Xbow hunters can only participate during the muzzleloader season, which is 1 month after bow season opens. We have the month of September to ourselves. Works very good here.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:08 pm »
im with Ryno about the people. that was my first impulse. and yes the "doctors excuse" is WAY over abused. 40 some thousand have been issued that way. i honestly dont have a problem with them if the guy literally CANT draw a real bow. but as Ryno sayd the salther - a**es that just want to get away with the easy way, ive got no tollerence for. in my opinion if it has a stock, a scope, a trigger, a safty, and can be caarried around the woods cocked and ready to shoot, it belongs in the gun season. JMO.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.