Author Topic: Crossguns in the Pa bow season!!!!!!  (Read 20191 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Crossguns in the Pa bow season!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »
Perry, no ones trying to out law anything here. Cross bows are a legal weapon to use during fire arms seasons, including our so called "flintlock only" muzzle loader season. I just don't want a whole bunch of idiots tromping around the woods in our archery season and ruining it for all the legitimate archers. You would have to be in pennsylvania durring fire arm season to understand what I'm talking about.  :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 03:44:24 pm »
Or Texas for that Matter....no place for Public Hunting.....so there are 100's of thousands of Orange Vested Hunters everywhere you look......don't need anyone who thinks that buying a Crossbow will make them a Bow Hunter.....and being a Crossbow they can Hunt like it is a Rifle.....will spell Bad News for Archery Season for sure......... I own a Barnett Crossbow....but it isn't a Weapon for Hunting during Bow Season....I use it mainly for Varmint and Predator Hunting
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 05:57:36 pm »
Wow Mike, thats two things in one day we agree on  :o .....Are you OK?  ???  ;)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:17 pm »
Wow Mike, thats two things in one day we agree on  :o .....Are you OK?  ???  ;)

I had a Long Night worked from 7 am.....till 10:00 pm.....and didnt get a good nights sleep......I think I am a Little Off Skew today!!!

Check back tomorrow!!!
                                                                                    ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:45:58 am »
Mike I believe its for anyone 65 and older. Ryano you think your DNR is messed up come to Michigan and you will see corruption and politics like you wouldn't believe >:(
[/quote]

What is DNR?

Badbill

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:36 am »
Dept. of Natural Resources.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:31 am »
They are legal to carry in TN during the archery season. I went to the final meeting with the TWRA on the matter, and only 6 folks showed up to defend it.... They kept it under wraps pretty well.

That is why we now have a state bowhunting organization. The more things they allow, the less hunting time we will get. That is what concerns me...
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:01 pm »
Mike I believe its for anyone 65 and older. Ryano you think your DNR is messed up come to Michigan and you will see corruption and politics like you wouldn't believe >:(

Yup Michigan is a mess
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
Well I really don't see how it could be any worse than ours....they only want to make money at any cost. They do not have a care in the world what the sportsmen want. Right now they make more money a year off of timbering property's than licence fees anyways....so timber is there main concern.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 02:38:31 am »
Well I really don't see how it could be any worse than ours....they only want to make money at any cost. They do not have a care in the world what the sportsmen want. Right now they make more money a year off of timbering property's than licence fees anyways....so timber is there main concern.

hence the lower deer population. less deer, more room for them to timber...ahhh it all comes together now.

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 03:10:25 pm »
 ;)

Offline Postman

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2008, 01:05:57 am »
I grew up hunting in Pennsylvania, Ryano, and I know how crazy it gets on public land. saw and heard of some scary, insane close calls.   I think Pennsy., , like many states, is buckling to the reality of declining hunters by trying to get more people out with these obvious  shortcuts to more hunting days with little investment in practice time - and also probably getting greased by the crossbow/hi-tec muzzleloader manufacturers to open up "primitive"  seasons to these expensive weapons to boot. I do like pennsy's  idea of making smaller bucks off-limits, however, and hope VA follows suit. 
 Here in Virginia, Crossbows are now legal in any archery season, after years of them for people with disabilities only. I'd like too see them restricted to muzzleloader, but oh well.... I would feel fine hunting "against" people with flintlocks in a "primitive" season, but not crossbows - I think they are as, or even more efficient than in-lines in thick forest I hunt  based on the noise level, visibility and second shot probability.
The real rub here in VA  arises when check in's are no longer required - who knows WHAT the deer was killed with. I hunt National forest,and  I hear plenty of shots in bow season, and plenty of "repeating muzzleloaders" in blackpowder. I have no problem with people hunting with anything, but would like a safe, fair primitive archery/flintlock only hunt of 3 weeks at least! Now I feel a bit skeered walking into my stand  in the dark in my camo knowing people are out there with scoped X-bows, or firearms out of season not even having to look for antlers. Used to go in without a light on sometimes, but can't do it now. wearing orange in  / out also reduces my chances, but I feel I now have no choice.

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Ryano

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 12:39:57 pm »
Your right Postman. The problem with the horn restriction we have hear is it goes by points. A buck has to have 4 points on one side to be legal to shoot. Most of our 1 1/2 old bucks with good genes have 4 points on one side so they get killed off the first year anyways. Only the 4's and 6 pointers make it to be two and half year olds and some times never get more than 4 or 6 points. ...So now we have giant 6 pointers that you cant even shoot.....Not the best management program in my eyes. I wish they would go to a spread out side the ears type restriction instead of using points. This would save pretty much all the 1 1/2 old bucks and give them a chance to grow bigger and wiser so they might have a chance to make it through the next years gun season......jmo

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:44 am »
im with you on the width restriction, another thing that i would LOVE to see them do is cut the doe season back to only a day or 2. i m a firm believer that the population would come back if they could just do that. when you kill a doe you kill 3 deer...

having said that i am going to hunt doe this year. i know kindof a contradiction, but my cousin has abour 500 acres that i hunt on, and he does his own deer management. minimum of a 16" spread, and only the older single doe. the first couple of years we didnt take a buck off the place because of the restiction, but its been 5 years now, and he has got some WHOPPERS. they took a buck off the back hill last year, had a 26" inside spread, and his highest tines were about 12" high. there are 3 other bucks on there that we didnt get last year.

the proofs in the puddin, there is a herd of prolly 30 that come out in his upper field every night, and he has a trapline that he runs through the winter and he sees at least that many each trip around the hill.

the younger healthy doe are able to breed, and the older ones are culed so that there is more room for the others. im tellin ya, it works.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
Phil, your right but the problem is the game commission doesn't want the deer population to come back. They got the way the wanted it right now. It will be up to us as sportsman now to use our own discretion in how many doe's we take out each year. They have no intention on cutting back doe permits or limiting the season. I think people around my area here have finally figured out that if you shoot every deer in woods you see, there won't be any left for next year. I am starting to see a few more deer this summer. More than I have seen in the past 4 or 5 years. Your lucky to have access to a big enough plot of private land that you can exercise your own management program and actually have it work. Most people don't.