Author Topic: Sumac as Bow Wood  (Read 20551 times)

Offline DanaM

Sumac as Bow Wood
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:34:46 pm »
Last year when I visited my brother in central New York I cut a wrist thick sapling of Sumac, not sure but I think it was Staghorn Sumac. Anyway thought I would give it a try.
One limb had about 6" of reflex and the other had maybe 2" so after getting the limbs bending some I put it on my new form which is modeled after Pappy's
and from Greg's engineering print. It took heat very well and after cooling I had 4.5" of reflex. 67" NTN and 1.5" wide, going for a D bow. Did some work on it
today and got it braced to 5.5" its pulling 38#@ 22" and just unstrung retains 1" of reflex which after awhile returns to 2". Tommow if possible I will put it back on the form and toast the belly.
After that is final tillering, going to go for 40#@26". I don't think there is enough wood to aim for more. The heart wood is quite striking its green.

Anyone else ever try Sumac? Any comments or critique is welcome :)

On the form

Off the form 4.5" of reflex

Braced

38#@22"

Just unstrung

And of course my dog Bocephus he supervised the whole thing ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Sumac as Bow Wood
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:30:40 pm »
  Looking good, Dana. The Pup is too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:50:04 pm »
That looks great Dana....never would have thought of Sumac for a Bow!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »
Its not a bow yet ;) Just a piece of wood that looks like a bow eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:03:46 pm »
Looks like it is getting to bow fast. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:09:52 pm »
Dana ya beat me to it!!! :D i had plans to try this wood this summer. Ive got gobbs and gobbs of it around, i was doing some research while you were testing it! looking good so far. unbacked right? this was my only concern with this wood as its kinda softish. im looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

you're officially my guinea pig! :D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:05 pm »
 Wow Dana, that is looking like it has some real potential. Can't wit to see how it turns out. Keenan

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:08:53 pm »
Was wonderin bout this myself, got lots of winged sumac cut and dryin for arrows but its got a spongy pith. Hafta cut some of the bigger stuff and see.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:32:01 pm »
Phil and Brian, make sure you have the sumac that Dana is using.  China sumac (ailanthus) is garbage. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Phillip K

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »
Nice Utilising the sumac. that isn't poisonous is it?Happy freedom day!PK

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 08:50:23 pm »
Phil sorry to burst yer bubble ;) and yes its unbacked and it does have a pithy center, like a tootsie popl :)
Keenan ya never know until ya try eh ;)
Koan I have no idear about winged sumac, give it a try eh.
Justin you said it would take 20" of set, guess what yer wrong ;D
PK nope not poisonous :)

Its still just a piece of wood until it flings an arrow, its by no means premium bow wood, but it may be another option ???

Manistique, MI

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 10:01:42 pm »
Phil and Brian, make sure you have the sumac that Dana is using.  China sumac (ailanthus) is garbage. Justin

how do ya tell the difference between the two? and how many different kinds are there? a couple of good nubie questions there ;D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 11:43:35 pm »
Staghorn Sumac has round redish purple fruit.
Ailanthus sumac has little flat sead pods, pale green when immature and grey when mature and dry. Justin

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:50:06 pm »
Keep the pics coming Dana, looks real good!

Rich

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 12:23:32 am »
Staghorn Sumac has round redish purple fruit.
Ailanthus sumac has little flat sead pods, pale green when immature and grey when mature and dry. Justin
The staghorn sounds like what we call here in Mo. winged sumac...according to MDC book. Looks almost like grape pods only smaller. It seems to grow in great bunches of shoots and grows very fast...I got some that are 2 yrs old and they are almost 2" across and 10'-15" tall.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....