Author Topic: Pig thicket bow (finished pictures page 2)  (Read 29864 times)

radius

Re: Pig thicket bow
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 02:34:15 am »
i really like it too...looks shorter than you say...you must be pretty tall!

fantastic bow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 02:46:27 am »
Thanks Pat, I can shoot pretty good with it. 
Rich, thanks. It is a little on the petite side isn't it.  As skinny as it is and with all those curves I should have called it Super Model Bow.  ;D I made sure I got it to full draw and square to the camera so you could see it well.
Bob, I'm glad you like it. Do you think it ought to get the job done in the swamps?  ;) I can shoot it from my belly.
Brian, I draw 26" (at least.)  ;D Augie has Ipe? ??? Tell him he took it home and you haven't seen it since.  ;D
Thanks Tim, I sure enjoy a good piece of Ipe.  I still haven't figured out where the breaking point is on this stuff.
Thanks Radius,  I am 6'3" does that explain some.  It actually looses some of that 52" to the curves.  It only stands 46 1/2" tall. The working portion of each limb is about 15" each. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:20:48 pm »
Nice Job Justin. From the looks of it you should be able to draw it to 28" no problem. You still have pretty good string angles. I might get the limbs working a touch more from the node out to the static tip on both limbs but it looks pretty good the way it is.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »
Yes! I like that one! Nice job, it looks great.  :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 12:33:21 pm »
Ryan, I have considered 28". With less than 30" of working limb I'm not sure I want to though.  ;D I'm sure before I get done it will since I really cant stop pushing until something breaks.  >:D  I had it bending a little more out there at a lower draw but the recurves really started to roll over so I brought it back. You can't have your static recurves turning inside out you know.  ;)
Thanks Sean.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 02:15:35 pm »
Hey Justin, you surely got a nice bend going on that little guy ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 03:07:03 pm »
Thanks Manny

SW Utah

Offline akbowman

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 03:48:49 pm »
That is one SWEET little bow Justin. I gotta try one of those.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »
Thanks AK.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 04:50:11 pm »
OK here are the pretty shots and the story.

I had a couple of pieces of Ipe about 27" long.  Ipe is a beast to bend and I wanted tight recurves on this one so I had to get creative.  I cut a kerf cut 5 3/4" long into each limb tip. I then steamed it and bent it around my form. I have tried the kerf cut before and wound up with a tiny air pocket at the bottom of the cut so this time I cut and bent a thin piece of yellow heart and put it in the cut at glue up. I had to glue some of the recurve in because Ipe doesn't want to bend and wouldn't hold the tight circle I wanted. The recurve pattern is a 6" circle  so it is plenty tight.  ;) I spliced the pieces with some deflex in them. When I glued it up I wasn't sure if I had enough deflex so I glued in a little more.  I couldn't get the bamboo to match the super tight radius of the recurve so I cut it just short and put on a 6" long yellowheart overlay. It has taken about 1/2" of string follow.
the handle wrap is horse leather sewn with yellow string to match the yellow heart accents.  Justin

I remeasured it and it is actually 50" TTT and 48 1/2 NTN
50# @ 26"
Just over 1" wide from the grip out to 16" from center. The last 9" is a constant taper to the 1/4" tips.
It has a 4" rigid handle with another 1 1/2" of fades.
The static recurves are 6".

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Pig thicket bow (finished pictures page 2)
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 04:55:17 pm »
The table is to shiny so this might make it easier to see.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 04:55:58 pm »
Very creative solution to the problem of bending Ipe Justin, she's a beauty fer sure and at 50@26"
its the perfect weight and draw length ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 05:15:48 pm »
WOW, even better, you put a lot of work on that bow, and it surely came out nice, real good craftmanship there !!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 05:31:14 pm »
Thanks again Manny and Dana. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 05:51:05 pm »
Amazing work Justin.  The tiller is excellent.  That is an outstanding bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com