Author Topic: My first cane/bamboo arrows  (Read 9102 times)

Ranger B

My first cane/bamboo arrows
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:59:42 pm »
Well, I finally got a few made.  The bamboo was tougher to get straight but seems to be lighter and shoots faster.  May be because it's dryer.  Cane is easier but slow.  I've got a lot to learn.  On a scale of bad, fair, good, great I rate this batch FAIR.  I'll keep working on them and hope to rapidly improve.
Ranger B

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: My first cane/bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:26:19 pm »
Those look good. It takes awhile to get the hang of straightening them, but once you get the feel of it you can straighten a shaft in five minutes or so. They hardly ever warp in use like wooden shafts, either.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 11:39:03 pm »
Practice will make perfect but those arrows aren't bad for your first. If they shoot well, thats what matters.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:44:52 pm »
They look fine to me.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:10:06 am »
look like they might put meat on the table.. ;)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 01:01:40 am »
Them look good Ranger! I really like the cane arrows, guess cause I'm drawn to em - haven't really tried much of anything else. They do get easier with time..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Ranger B

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:40:36 am »
Thanks guys.  I don't have a spine tester so I need to take them to Pappy's to see where they are but I did weigh them and the canes avg around 755 grains and the bamboo is 550 grains.  My cedars are 475.  I think my canes are still just a little green and will continue to lose so weight.  I gave them a week with 3 days in the direct sun, but maybe I need to wait a little longer.  I also decided to put a little longer piece of dowel into them for strength at the nock and the footing for the point so that drove the weight up as well.  I used a 160 grain field point. 

I don't knap so I'll have to buy some points to hunt with.  How do you practice with those points....other than Leapinbare's method of shooting through 2 x 4s?   ;D ;D ;D
Ranger B

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:28 am »
The cane is usually heavier than wood, even when it's dry. That's another reason I like it for hunting arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 10:26:40 am »
They look great.  What are they tipped with?

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
Don't think I'd put one of my hard earned stone points through a 2x4 ::). An old sofa cushion that I aquired works like a charm - it's stuffed with some kind of cotton'y substance, probably nylon. A lot of the time, the arra's bounce right back out..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:40:11 pm »
Nice arrows, but it looks like the spiral of the feathers is the wrong way.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Ranger B

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 07:37:51 pm »
The spiral of the feathers is the right way but I think I may use my fletcher on the next ones and glue them and then reinforce with serving or sinew.  I've got 3 more that I'm working on.  Do you guys separate them by weight?  If so what is the weight range you use?
Jimmy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:01 am »
Nice job Jimmy,got some of my own about ready to flecth. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 08:16:46 am »
Those look good Jimmy!

I've got eighteen finished other then putting points on them. I put dowels in the center both ends, and glued the feathers on using my fletcher and also sinew wrapping at both ends. I first finished two a week or so ago and they fly great. I finished up the others yesterday and so far have only shot one of them. It did not fly good...I turned the cock feather in toward the bow and it flew much better, but still not as good as the others. I'm guessing spine or a node coming into play. I'm going to try the rest of them out this afternoon...hope the majority flys good! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:58:23 am »
Greg, Do you have the growing part of the node facing the bow or away from it. That is the stiffest part of a cane shaft.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC