Author Topic: hardwood backing  (Read 5860 times)

Offline recurve shooter

hardwood backing
« on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
how do you get the strips of hardwood for backings?  ??? i got myself some tb 2 and i want to put a backing on a redoak bow. do you just bandsaw out a strip or what? thanx in advance for the help.
lets just shoot it

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: hardwood backing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:54:50 pm »
Go to your local saw mill and ask to look threw thier hickory lumber and find you a board with good grain and then saw it up on you table saw. Or if you dont have a saw ask them to cut it for you..... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »
But if you are like some of Us Tree Deprived Souls....then you have to buy  it from a Hardwood Web Site or one of the Bowyers that have have a Website....we have a few that pay for Advertisements right here.ask them ....and most will cut it the way you need it...and as wide as you want too....they have for me......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:02:24 pm »
Here's what I do... go to a good wood supplier (Windsor Plywood for me) and purchase a 6 to 8' long plain sawn hickory board, which is 6 to 8" wide, and 2" thick. Look for straight grain, with no grain running off the board. Turn the board on edge and cut 3/16" thick strips lengthwise. That way, you end up with longitudinal grain. I cut it on my table saw. If you only have a bandsaw, the cut is too rough to use as a glue up. You can take your strips to a mill wright and have them run the strips through a thickness sander, bringing them to 1/8" thickness. This cost me $2 per board. On a table saw (if you're careful), the cuts are usually smooth enough for glue up. All told, with price of board and labour, my hickory backing strips cost $10 each. You can do the same thing with good maple, if you can find it. However, leave the maple a bit thicker at 3/16" final thickness. When you're done, you should be able to look down the backing strip on the 2" surface, and see straight grain running the entire length of the board, with no grain running off the side. If you want, I can send you pics. Just let me know.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:20:26 pm »
ok, sounds good. thanx alot. would somewhere like lowes or homedepot have something that'll work? i dont know where any actual lumberyards are.
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:14:49 pm »
i dont know about in your area, but i've looked at every home depot,lowes,menards etc(all major corporate) lumber yards/home improvement stores within 100 miles of my house and all they seem to have is pine,cedar etc, your typical builders lumber nothing that i can use,  so  i just by on line and from guys on this site.

seems to always be of good quality this way,also as they know what i am going to do with it,so it always ssems to work great and the cost with shipping has always been fair too.

peace,
                                                                        tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 07:37:11 pm »
I usually do what adb does...except that he's the smart one, and buys 2" thick boards!  That's a good idea!  I just buy 1" boards, cut them into 1.5" rippings, and then rip those on edge to 3/16...

home depot and like stores won't satisfy.  You need a friend with some good tools...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23:52 am »
Look in your phone book or ask furniture builders/wood workers about a supplier. For what you will pay for a backing strip you can make a dozen...and a few belly pieces. 8) Even if you pay someone to cut it for you, you will come out ahead.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:29:18 am »
I agree with Pat. Go your own way, it's much cheaper, and you can control the quality much better. I've never had any luck with Home Depot or the like. You need to find a speciality hardwood supplier, or talk to mill wrights, or furniture makers.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:30:09 am »
will do guys, thanx.
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:06:21 am »
adb, have you ever used the white ash they sell at Windsor Plywood as backings?  I bought some ash there last year, and pulled some decent, if rudimentary, laminated bows out of it, but they were all light weight...I have a bunch of yew laminations that i am beginning to work with, and I thought ash might be a good backing for it. 

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 11:08:49 am »
Scott,
I think ash is a decent backing material, but I've never used it. Hickory or bamboo for me.

radius

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:29 am »
whoa!  that was eerie fast!  Ignore the pm  ;D

and thanks for the answer...

pj white hardwoods has sold out their hickory stock grrr...they are the most accessible hardwood shop to me...i sold a bow yesterday for a pretty penny, and want to reinvest some of the money in materials...big jug of tb2 and a 2" board for backings...bamboo is such a pain in the a##, i don't want to go there...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:28:05 am by Ryano »

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:28:36 am »
Hey, Scott
I'm with you. Bamboo is an awesome backing material, perhaps the best with osage, but it sure is a pain in the arse. Hickory for me.

radius

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:36:49 am »
Hey Adam,

I bought a couple 2" thick boards the other day,

1 is white oak

1 is white ash

They are plain sawn, and I ripped them into quarter sawn strips.  Here's my Q:  when you taper the tips, you get grain run out:  has that been a problem?  How do you deal with it?  Just do a big round on the edges?

Thanks, Scott