Author Topic: hardwood backing  (Read 5859 times)

Offline adb

Re: hardwood backing
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
Hey, Scott

I don't taper the tips on my backing strips. My hickory is 1/8", and maple is 3/16". Are you using the oak as backing? I've not tried it, any idea how it'll work? Ash should be OK.

radius

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:54 am »
I laminated the pieces together full width, the vertical grain running beautifully from end to end.  But when I clean off the snot and draw and cut a profile, every ring (line) in the tips area (last foot or so) gets cut off.

I am mainly using the white oak as a core lam and belly lam material.  However, I did cut two strips 1/8" thick to use as back lams.  They are vertical grained as well, nice and straight, so should be good.  I will definitely let you know how it goes.

I bought the wood at PJ White...the ash was 2x8x8'...cost $40.  The oak was 2x6x8'...cost $60. 

I cut the ash down into 3/16" strips.  But the oak had a couple ugly spots, so I varied the size of my strips.  Two a full 5/8 " thick (for core).  Two 1/8" (for backing).  The rest roughly 3/16 for variable use.

Ordering wood from the US is a real expense, so I want to get familiar with the possibilities of these white woods.  I have some yew laminations I can use as belly lams.  I have some rosewood which I bought for handles and accents. 

Next few weeks oughtta see an outburst of my new bows, because I have a ton of 'em ready to tiller.

radius

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:53 am »
To be clear:  I didn't mean "thickness taper"  but "width taper".

Offline snedeker

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
As a point of interest, the one thing that is readily available at Lowes and Home Depot is thin (1/8) sheets of red oak, 6" x 30"  for trimming out oak kitchen cabinet edges, often quarter sawn.  the length is a bit limiting

Dave

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 03:34:30 pm »
....could you use two pieces meating in the handle?
lets just shoot it

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 03:53:45 pm »
I suppose you could, but I wouldn't.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »
Its totally cool to use half length pieces, particularly in a rigid handle bow.  Put a 4" cap piece over the joint.  As to the length, if you bevel off the backing at the tips and use long overlays, you can eek a few inches.  Easily get a 62" ntn bow.  One other thing.   did you consider using silk backing?  if you've got even half way decent grain orientation with red oak, it works well, if you've got thie thickness in your board to do that.

Dave