Author Topic: Black locust snake bow  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Black locust snake bow
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 10:22:11 am »
Sounds like you have a piece that has a lot of up and down snake but not much side to side.  You need to follow the grain and have one growth ring on the back or you are going to make toothpicks.  This bow will be extremely difficult to tiller. Probably the hardest kind of snake to tiller.  I would recommend that you practice a little more on a few easy pieces. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:50 am »
If it has up-and-down snakiness, you may be able to straighten a lot of it out with heat after you get it chased to one ring. Can you post pics?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:38:43 am »
not yet I haven't done anything to it other than draw it out, as I was afraid of making a major mistake, and I don't want to screw it up. So let me see if I have this right, draw it out , follow the side grain pattern as it does its ups and downs and then try to heat and straighten them out.

Robb ???
live each day the best you can

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 10:46:36 am »
Yep, the first step would be to get the back down to a single growth ring from end to end, and work from there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:07 am »
Again, your first step is to get it to one continuous growth ring on the back. Without doing that first you can't be sure where the grain is going to be able to draw out your bow. With up and down snakes it is going to be difficult getting to one ring but it is a necessary first step. By doing so it will teach you patience which, IMO, is the most important tool in your bow making kit. If you feel intimidated by this first step, set that stave aside and work on another until you feel confident enough to tackle it. I wish someone had told me this long ago before I screwed up more good wood than I care to admit to.  ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »
Thanks for all the help, I would be lost if it were not for the help from the guys from P.A. Ive started it and I will let you know how its going. When I figure it out I will include pics.
                                Robb

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:10 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think Hickory or dogwood, or other white woods are the only ones you can get by with not followiing the grain closely. 
Westminster, MD

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 06:45:55 pm »
believe me, with all the help I've been getting from these guys I'm determined not to screw up. I have the grain marked  and I am following it very closely. When I'm done it will look weird but different.

Robb

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 12:39:28 am »
good luck man! im in the process of getting myself a large stash of locust now. cant wait to get my hands on it!
lets just shoot it