Author Topic: Short Draw Length  (Read 12189 times)

Offline JBL

Short Draw Length
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
I have a really short draw length (23.5") at this draw my 45# bow only is 32#.  The bow is not center shot and I am concerned about arrow spine vs arrow length.  I know if I was to have the arrows cut at 25" they will be much stiffer than lets say 27"; I do not have a problem with "extra" arrow if it will allow for better arrow flight.  My question is what are the problems with having arrows that are longer than an inch past draw length?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Short Draw Length
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:12 pm »
All of my arrows are 29" for my 26" draw. There is no problems that I have noticed with longer arrows. You can reduce spine weight without having to use weaker arrows and I like the added weight I get from longer arrows.  I believe I answered your post on TradGang also. ;)        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JBL

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:41 pm »
Pat- Yes you did and thank you again.  The big question I had was about arrow length past draw length.  I guess the other question I have is if arrow flight is not effected by an arrow being cut more than an inch over draw length why is there an obsession in many circles to cut the arrow to this one inch mark?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:12 pm »
I think it has to do with some folks having to have everything perfect. With primitive stuff perfection isn't always an option. Some South American Natives and other cultures use very long arrows and no fletchings. They make their living with them and have for eons. Sometimes we get hung up on what some think is necessary but it is proven that ain't necessarily so.
   A bit of experimenting will help you find the appropriate arrow length for your bow, short draw and shooting style.  Good luck and keep us posted.     Pat

ps. What is your shaft material?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:44:18 pm »
This arrow is 50" long, and shoots good with my 26" draw. I usually make most of my arrows about 2" longer than my draw, but I know people who make all their arrows about 6" over their draw.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JBL

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:49 pm »
I am using cedar but I am looking at other woods, I would really like to try bamboo.  I think you are right about everything being "perfect", one thing I love about the Primitive Community is that many understand that things are not perfect and to work with what the Good Lord has given us.  Thank you again for your time and answers and I am going to do some more experimentation and alot more practice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:32 pm »
To get cedars that short will give you either an arrow that is way too stiff or too weak. With cane and hardwood shoots the natural taper will allow you to shoot an arrow that is about 10# heavier spine. Add a few inches to that and you can get your arrow near where it needs to be.   You may also try tapering your cedar arrows to achieve the same effect. Make the point end the biggest and taper to the fletching or at least the last 10" or so of the fletching end.      Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:54:19 pm »
...heavier points will also help!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:27 pm »
I think the biggest reason people cut their arrows short is because they are infected with compound mentality and they have to get every bit of speed they can.  The extra 3-5" might cost them a few FPS so they cut it off.
All of my arrows are at least 30 1/2". Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JBL

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
That was my next question about points I was thininking about trying 145 vs 125 and see how the grey goose flys.  One thing I am finding out as I really have become obsessed with archery is: the first 6 mos I was just plinking arrows; now I know what path I want to pursue as far as my tackle and shooting style.  I am also hitting the target alot more.  I also don't believe my short draw length will be as much of an obstacle as I once thought because there seems to be many solutions to this so called problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:06:58 pm »
The standard spine weight is also calculated with a 125gr  point attached. Anything above that will decrease spine weight but I don't know the values of that weight change.     Pat

Offline benjamin

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:48:46 pm »
I like short arrows because I use a short draw and always have compound guys who want to shoot my stuff. They think 44'' wood bows pull 32'' just like theirs. Saves me from HAVING to make a new one every week. When I shoot alone though, long arrows are easier to spine and find in the woods. Plus if you break a few inches off (tree, rock...) they're still usable.

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:20 pm »
All of my arrows are 29" for my 26" draw. There is no problems that I have noticed with longer arrows. You can reduce spine weight without having to use weaker arrows and I like the added weight I get from longer arrows.  I believe I answered your post on TradGang also. ;)        Pat

I think this is the idea of the South American Native arrows. They have arroas in overlegth, so the spine is unimportant.

Offline uwe

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 04:03:41 pm »
This arrow is 50" long, and shoots good with my 26" draw. I usually make most of my arrows about 2" longer than my draw, but I know people who make all their arrows about 6" over their draw.

But wouldn`t it be difficult for a short selfbow made for lets say 23" draw? You have a longer draw and you have longer arrows. A little more on a highly stressed bows and it could be firewood?!
In this way you should make a coloured mark on the shaft.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »
Uwe, I draw about 26" whether the arrow is 26" or 126" long. Middle finger anchored in the corner of my mouth.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.