Author Topic: Yucca bowstrings/cordage  (Read 11104 times)

Offline TRACY

Yucca bowstrings/cordage
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:00:08 am »
I've been experimenting with leaves from the yucca plant for making primitive strings. So far I've managed to make some short lengths of cordage of varying thickness. This is the first time that I've attempted a string with natural materials and have found it very challenging but rewarding. I figured it would be good practice for making a sinew string since yucca is so widely used as a landscape plant around here and readily available. I did a search here and couldn't find much mention of yucca and was wondering if anyone had suggestions and advice for making yucca strings for this greenhorn string maker.

Thanks Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Yucca bowstrings/cordage
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:05:17 pm »
Keep adding fibers so you get a longer piece.  ;D I have a whole mess of processed yucca fiber under my bed. I have only made one string from it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:27 pm »
Keep it even, when making strong cordage as for a bow string ya gotta keep it even, make it thicker than you would a deacon string and if possible only shoot self knocked arrows off of it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:39 pm »
This stuff seems to be really strong. My plan is to shoot cane with this string and so self nocks won't be a problem. It seems like I do a few twists and add another strand and the cycle repeats. Luckily I have several plants on my property that are volunteers because I'm gonna need more material.

Thanks Tracy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:15:27 pm »
  Has anybody tried it with the Spanish Bayonet? It looks the same as the Yucca but has leaves 4 to 5 feet long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:50:04 pm »
Eddie, if it's the same Spanish bayonet I'm thinking of, it is a species of yucca. We have one that grows here, Yucca filimentosa or beargrass. It makes good general purpose cordage, but it's not as strong as dogbane, nettle, or milkweed.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:29:50 am »
Eddie, the Spanish bayonet has a sharp point on the tip. You can break it and pull it down the leaf to get a needle and thread for sewing.   Century plant is also related.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
I just saw the needle/thread trick on survivorman. Pretty cool

Hillbilly, Do you think my time is better spent using other materials? Don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks Tracy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:17 pm »
Tracy, dunno-I've never tried a yacca string. Jim Hamm shaows a couple yucca strings in one of his books. I made a dogbane bowstring once, it lasted a good while but finally broke. Seems that most of the NA's preferred sinew, gut, or rawhide for bowstrings-and they were very skilled in making cordage, fabric, and stuff from plant fibers.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:15:57 pm »
I have seen what appears to be snares for small game made from yucca fiber in several local museums. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:32:50 pm »
 Claude VanOrder makes string out of the wild yucca that grows in Florida and uses it on his bows with bear grease.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Phillip K

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:51 pm »
Yucca Needs to be Hammered on a wood log to get the fibres apart and then rinsed in water to get the soap out then it can be used as Cordage. Of coarse  I seen this done on video.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:46 am »
The only cleaning I have done is scraping the length o the leaf with my knife to remove the chlorophyll pulp and then let dry. When dry, I split the individual strands much like pulling sinew and then add to the string as I go. It's working ,not to say it's right though. Native Americans no doubt made mostly sinew and gut strings for a reason, they worked. If my survival was at stake here i would be using sinew also ;)