Author Topic: Ash Shafts?  (Read 5323 times)

Bueskytter

Ash Shafts?
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:40 pm »
Has anyone got any experience with shafts made from Ash? From what I've heard it was the most common material used in Europe during the middle ages, but it doesn't seem to be popular these days. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

Offline DanaM

Re: Ash Shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:45 pm »
I've made a few from split timber, they work pretty good but they are very heavy.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:44:01 pm »
Hi, I've made ash arrows, starting from cutting down the tree to finishing up by putting the arrow into a hog.
They've always worked very well for me..... Ash grows so fast here in the east of the UK people call it a weed!
It is heavier than POC but i like the history of the wood and they seem to stand up a bit more than POC if you hit a tree/rock..
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
I used Ash several time and it is heavy and makes a good arrow,the only problem I had was the had to be straightened pretty often.Maybe like Hickory if you heat straighten them first and then sealed
immediately they would stay,I didn't try that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »
I've used ash shafting for warbows. It is a traditional haevy shaft material. The only "problem" I've encoutered is high spine numbers. Most of the shafts I've made spine out at 80 - 100#. Good for heavy warbows, but not much else.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:12 pm »
Cool tips on those arrows Adam ! Did you make them ?

I have some Ash shafts that i'm going to try, but i hear what Pappy is saying about staying strait.....
The only way to fail is to never start !

Bueskytter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:32:54 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking to progress into a bow with about a 90# draw, I'm currently shooting a 60#@28" Hedeby-style bow and am drawing to the ear (32"). I think I'm about ready to move up, so I'm glad to hear they work well with a WB. Thanks again.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:00:27 pm »
Hey, John
I wish!! No... I didn't make them! I ain't no blacksmith! I bought them from a blacksmith in the UK. PM me if you want to know who.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:01 pm »
those arrows are awesome :o 8)

the one in the middle,is the fletching cut differant than the other two? the outside two look like they are shiled cut and the center one doesn't.
or is it just my eyes or something playing tricks on me

peace,
                                                                              tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:27 pm »
No, your eyes are fine. The arrow in the middle, with the large swallowtail broadhead, has pointed back fletch. The 2 arrows on the outside, with the smaller bodkins, have 5" shield cut feathers. All the arrows are completely hand made, from shaft, to hand cut feathers, to binding, and self nocks.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:18 am »
   those are just truly impressive :o :o 8)

i'm in the process of straightening about 2 doz red osier shoots,going to try my hand at arrows.  who knows they may turn out 1/100th the nice. if so i'll be happy if they fly straight
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
ive never broken an ash shaft. and im not verry nice to em. ive had a couple take 90 degrees off a tree and be fine. i usually straighten mine at the begining of every year, and after that there usually pretty good. i swear by em.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 12:46:47 pm »
I've had pretty decent luck with them, but I had to keep tweaking on them to keep them straight.   I remember I had made up a dozen for a 75# recurve I had, and they came out in the 800gr range, if I remember correctly.  It was really impressive to see how hard hitting those arrows were!!   I would also say they were the most durable wood arrow I've ever shot too. 

Titan_Bow
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

SchHIII

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:34:50 am »
I've no complaints with them. Shot a buck last Fall, retrieved the arrow this spring - it's a little weathered, a little less-than-straight but intact (and has straightened easily). Sure, they're somewhat heavier but, at my hunting distances, this is insignificant. Oh yes, the "driving force" was a CM Crusader 54#@27 and that's my draw.

Mark