Author Topic: milkweed arow wrapings?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline recurve shooter

milkweed arow wrapings?
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:20 pm »
i think i read on here somewhere that you can make fine cordage out of milkweed and id like to use it for fletching. how do you do it? i mean get the weed to be string?  ??? :P
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: milkweed arow wrapings?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:56 pm »
I have wrapped arrows with really small cordage, but I like the raw fibers better. the fibers are in the inner bark of the stalk. Cut a milkweed stalk (in the fall when they start to die back is best, but it'll work now-just messier and the fibers aren't quite as strong,) let it dry a couple/few days, then step on it/squish it to break it into sections lengthwise, like splitting a log into staves on a smaller scale. Then, break a section a few inches from the end-break from the inside out-this should break the woody part of the stalk, but the fibers on the ouside won't break. Peel the fibers/bark from the short section, and keep repeating until you get it all peeled off, then split the fibers into however wide of pieces you need. You can rub the fibers between your palms to get some of the brk/chaff off the fibers. Hope that made sense. You can peel the fibers off the green stalk, but it's messy as the dickens with all the milky sap.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:12 pm »
cool. thanx alot. got the stuff all ove down here. im guessng its fairly strong?
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:16:29 pm »
Yep, milkweed makes stout cordage, not quite as strong as dogbane, but almost. It's one of the better fiber plants.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:22:41 pm »
I'm gonna have to practice that fiber stripping thing. Mine all came apart in my hand and turned out pretty much useless - maybe I picked it a little early.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:55 pm »
What about for bowstring? Is milkweed good for that?

~Matt

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:32:57 pm »
 ??? huh. i guess if  you were to weave it well enough it could be. i dont know. id stick to seniew, rawhide and such for that.
lets just shoot it