Author Topic: Fish Skins  (Read 4520 times)

Offline agd68

Fish Skins
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:41 pm »
Hi Everyone. I seen some arrows here wrapped with snake skin. We dont have cool snakes here like rattlers or copperheads so I thought I might try a fish skin wrap. Has anyone done this with fish skin? Any advice on how to cure fish skin?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Fish Skins
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:55 pm »
not me, like to see some.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:20:21 am »
I'd like to know also. There have been a few articles in PA over the years about using fish skins for bow backings and for making a quiver.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:44 am »
not sure,never cured fish skins,however i would think one would fillet the fish,make sure all flesh is off the skin,lay flat to dry. just S.W.A.G. ing it here though.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:47 am »
  Dip the skins in a "mild" bleach water solution to kill the bacteria and smell. About 1/4 cup to 5 gal bucket.Then just scrape or presure wash any flesh off the skin. Then just stretch and staple to a piece of plywood or board and let dry a few days.
  When dry take a razor and cut out the skin inside the staples and wipe down with accetone to remove the oils.  rehydrate till soft then glue to arrow or bow with Tightbond, hide glue, sinew glue or several others.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:23 am »
The carp skins I used on bow backs were more like putting on Rawhide than snake skins,it was much thicker.I guess it would work on an arrow but may need to be thinned down some.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline agd68

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:00 am »
Thanks for the info Keenan and Pappy. I posted this question on Trad gang as well and got some good ideas there too. Pike,pickrel,cat fish and eel skin was also suggested. Cat and eel may be too thick for arrows though. I know its tough stuff. I was thinking of using Rainbow Trout skin. Pappy have you thought of doing a build along for backing a bow with fish skin?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:43 am »
Thanks Keenan! I was wondering how to handle the smell - have some carp hides dried out and man do they stink :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:15 am »
 Your welcome Cowboy.  Always test the bleach water first by dipping a small part in the water. If you get it to strong it will bleach out the color.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:55:02 pm »
I may do that when I get some more skins, ??? guess I need to get to fishing been waiting but none have fell in my lap lately. ;D :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:34:32 pm »
 Hey good post.I have been thinking about using Halibut skin for a bow backing and so now know the proccess.Thanks all !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington