Author Topic: How do you do your self nocks/pictures of my first primitives arrows  (Read 5714 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Just made my first dozen of primitive semi primitive arrows, got them done in time for mojam. river cane shafts made my nocks out of oak hard wood dowel how do you cut the notches in them. I cheated set up a jig on my router notched them then whittled them dow to fit in shaft. Hey I said semi primitive the trade point I purchased four of them from the local leather store
                                        Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:29:27 pm by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How do you do your self nocks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:15:56 am »
Dennis, I don't add a separate nock on my cane arrows but cut the nock directly in the cane. I usually fill the hole with a bamboo skewer or small dowel but not always.The nock is usually set just above a node and I add a sinew or silk wrap for safety.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:33:25 am »
I lay mine on the center groove of the band saw to make the first thin cut,then use a thin file to finish it up and size it,then course sand paper to finish them up.I done like Pat and just plugged the center wit a small dowel.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:38:54 am »
I usually cut mine directly in the cane, too. I make a center cut 3/8" deep with a hacksaw or bandsaw, then follow it with a small round rasp or tile blade.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:13 am »
I'm gluing a dowel into the end, then drilling about 1/8" hole through the cane 3/8" from the end. Then cutting a slot with a bandsaw and finishing up with sand paper.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:11 pm »
3 hacksaw blades taped together for me, then finish off with an 1/8" file.  I really like the look of a self nock !
The only way to fail is to never start !

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »
I cheat when doing over a dozen.  :o   I use a table saw.  >:D

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:51 pm »
I use my band saw for the initial cut then work it open with a thin bladed knife, sand paper folded over and over and a small set of files.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:28:42 pm »
I use three hacksaw blades taped together.   Offset them so on one end you have only one, on the other end you have two and in the center you have three.  I finish with a few different hobby files and sandpaper.  If you use a round hobby file you can "drill" at the base of the nock to make a snap nock.
Traverse City, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:42:52 am »
Sometimes I use my scroll saw...but a small rasp is almost as quick.  I finish up with sandpaper.  I don't plug cane (or reed).  I just cut the nock below the node and wrap with thread or sinew (as already mentioned).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27:04 pm »
  I use my bandsaw to cut the notch and then clean it out with a chain saw file.I don't put anything in the hole, just wrap it good with sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:30:55 pm »
Sounds like we're all about the same. I have plugged all mine with some kind of hardwood dowl, cut in with a bandsaw 3/8" deep, chainsaw file, then clean up with sandpaper. Oh, and wrap with sinew..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 09:37:10 am »
I use a masonry blade in a hacksaw frame. put in a jig , then in a vice. Hols ot really good without mashing the shaft. Cut it as deep as you want, finish it with sand paper. Pretty quick & makes a good nock.

The holes are 5/16 11/32 & 23/64ths. Draw a center line on the 1x2, mark & drill each hole. Cut the board down the center & put a small nut & bolt thru one end. Works great for holding your arrow while wrapping the nock too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline TRACY

Re: How do you do your self nocks/pictures of my first primitives arrows
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:39:16 pm »
Look like shooters to me. I'm new with cane and use the hacksaw blades/sandpaper method and seems to work fine.Wrap with sinew/hide glue for reinforcement. I've whittled down some scrap osage to make a point and insert into the end and glue. Shoots great.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956