Author Topic: HOT DOG I DONE IT!!!  (Read 10585 times)

Offline FlintWalker

HOT DOG I DONE IT!!!
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:13 am »
I messing around with knapping a little down at Pappy's and with a few pro pointers managed to come away with a pretty decent point. I never had any intention of learning to knap, but thought i'd give it a try on my own just for the heck of it.  After reducing some rock that Cowboy sent me down to rubble, I decided to try on some glass I found the other day.  I broke a lot of it and was close a few times, but just couldn't make it work ???  I talked to DanaM this evening and after a few pointers from him, decided to try again.
 This time with no distraction's and plenty of determination.  Viola!
 I still have just a little flat on one side and the notches ain't as deep as I wanted, but I thought I would stop while I was ahead.
  The one thing i'm learning quick is, Abrade, abrade, abrade.
 Just thought i'd share a picture or two. It ain't much, but for my second point, i'm happy ;D   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:15:47 am by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HOT DOG I DONE IT!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:27 am »
Beautiful point, Shannon. That will take meat!!!   Knowing when to stop is the secret that is hard for anyone to remember. I've seen some experts take one last flake off and screw up a nice point. :o Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:02:15 am »
And to Think...........a Yooper...........Talked you through it!!!!!!!!! All kidding aside Shannon.....thats a really nice Glass Point....leave it be....dont fix it till it's Broke!!!! ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:09 am »
Could you actually hunt with glass points?  For some reason I have it in my head that glass would be too fragile ???  Somebody set me straight on this.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:02 am »
Yes, you can Shannon! Obsidian points have taken more deer than I know of and those are just volcanic glass. If its sharp and the right shape, and put on a stick it will kill what ever it hits.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:33:33 am »
Nice work. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:41:16 am »
Very nice ,you are coming along.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:59:47 am »
Nice point shannon, glad I could help I broke 10 pieces of johnstone last night about 3/4 of the way done on each and snap all over.
I think its because I wasn't cooking anything ;) :D(inside joke guys)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:45:11 am »
Shannon, that looks great. Is there anything that you can't do well enough to make the rest of us look bad ?? ;D   ;D
BTW, haven't forgotten your points, just haven't had a chance to knap any lately.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:19 am »
That looks like a goodun' Shannon, you'll be amazing us with a bunch of beautiful points in no time! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 10:06:10 am »
Aren't the little successes along the way inspiring ;D! You got the symmetry down Shannon - good lookin point. And if you can get that inside a critter, whether it breaks or not - It'll do the job..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:15 am »
Looking real good man.  What kind of glass is it?  I've been saving up brown rootbeer bottles (They have a nice flat bottom) to give glass a try but so far my wife just thinks I'm not taking out the trash.  :-\

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:38 am »
Thanks for the compliments fellas :)  I found that glass under a bridge.  It looked like somebody dumped a big broken window glass there.  It's 1/4" thick and i'd say there was at least a 4'x8' piece of it before it was broken.
 I have a couple old tv sets i'm gonna try knapping the tubes on.  No flint around here, gotta make due with what you got. 
   Saw Filer

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:39:52 pm »
looks real good sir...i bet that will make some meat for ya! :D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 02:40:25 pm »
nice job, your wel on your way to some nice points.  glass is good or hunting, i think man mande glass is tougher than volcanic glass.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive