Author Topic: natural dye  (Read 9829 times)

Offline Don

natural dye
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:59 pm »
I hope this is the right place for this.
I need a natural red dye for some hemp cord. I'm using it to tie the hemp strap to the basket quiver I just made.
I could use Rit dye but would rather use something natural.

Offline PeteC

Re: natural dye
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:12:09 pm »
You could use poke berries,although it may be  a little more purplish than you want. I dyed some red oak shafts with it a few years ago,and they look pretty neat.   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:48:33 pm »
Good topic...I'm going to experiment with natural pigments (again) soon.  I've tried ordering fancy earth pigments from an art supply company...and they work great...but it feels like I'm cheating.

As for red dye, I've heard that beet juice (from canned beats) works well but I haven't tried it (yet).  For pigment, I'm going to try ground chili powder....and, of course, there's always food coloring.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:12:34 am »
Hey Don, I'm gonna put this under Primitive Skills. I think you'll get a better responce.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:18:38 am »
Good topic...I'm going to experiment with natural pigments (again) soon.  I've tried ordering fancy earth pigments from an art supply company...and they work great...but it feels like I'm cheating.

As for red dye, I've heard that beet juice (from canned beats) works well but I haven't tried it (yet).  For pigment, I'm going to try ground chili powder....and, of course, there's always food coloring.  ;D

Red Clay or Red Sand Stone (which we are covered with here) ....grind the Sandstone with a Rock....and add water to make a Paste...this is as good as it gets for Red Earth Pigment....but the Beet Jucie will work really well too....I have dyed fabric with Beets....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:37:50 am »
OK thanks Pat , Wasn't sure where to put it.
I like the beet juice, might give that a try.
Other berry dyes are not quite in season yet. The black rasberries are just starting. I'd rather eat them anyway. ;D
Some where around the house I have some red earth from Oklahoma, if I can find it.
 Good ideas. Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 01:47:54 am »
Onion skins and osage will give you yellow dye. Black walnut hulls, hickory nut hulls and tea will give you browns or tan. Different minerals will give other different colors. Places like crazy crow sell natural pigments already ground. Maybe even Mike at Pine Hollow or 3rivers.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Badbill

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:19 am »
When I was a kid of about 8 years old I cut a strange looking nut in half with my Boy Scout pocket knife.  Whatever came out of that seed stained my knife right in the middle black as any rifle I've ever owned, the stain is still there and I'm 44 now. Anybody want to guess what kind of nut that was?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 02:21:48 am »
When I was a kid of about 8 years old I cut a strange looking nut in half with my Boy Scout pocket knife.  Whatever came out of that seed stained my knife right in the middle black as any rifle I've ever owned, the stain is still there and I'm 44 now. Anybody want to guess what kind of nut that was?

I know an Unripe Pecan or Walnut will stain Steel forever...if you are cutiing through the Green Hull....could have beek on of them
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Badbill

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:24:35 am »
Now that you mention it, We did have walnut trees in the area.
Thanks ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:50:54 am »
Bloodroot, red osier dogwood bark, wild plum bark, and alder bark are some of the plants that were traditionally used to make a red dye for fabrics and porcupine quills. One formula I've seen involves boiling about a handful of each of these together in about a quart of water, then boiling the article to be dyed in with it awhile, then let it sit for a few hours. It's supposed to produce a pretty vivid red color.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 12:53:01 pm »
so i should be saving the scrapings from my red osier shoots to trade with ??? ;D

wish i would have known that sooner :P

well i'm off to cut some more red osier
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »
I tried soaking red osier bark for 2 days all I got was dirty water :-\ Never tried boiling it though :-[
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:11 pm »
Poke is a good color .

Ralph

Offline Don

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 09:02:53 pm »
May try mullberry [spelling]. I know it sure makes a mess coming out of the south end of a north bound bird. :P
There is another berry, I think its the elderberry but I'm not sure thats the name. I know what it looks like.
I've also used ripe sumac berries and get a lite brown w/a slight red but that won't be bright enough on natural hemp.