Author Topic: Wigwam  (Read 15005 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Wigwam
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »
Here are some pics of a wigwam I built this spring. I collected most of the bark first and then started on the frame. I stripped the bark from the frame poles and charred the bottoms of them in the fire. I used inner bark from a willow tree to tie the whole thing together. I learned a lot building this one that I could apply to another if I get the chance so if anyone is looking to build one I'll be glad to help.
It's on a nice site along a river with a spring coming in. I've found a lot of artifacts here over the years so this is not the first structure like this to be built here for sure. This thing was a lot of work to build but it was worth it. I'm going to be staying in this a lot during hunting season this fall and hope to bring back a lot of fish and game to cook on the fire! I'm looking to have a good working camp going with places to knap, tan hides, cook, maybe make pottery, just whatever comes to mind. I'm also wanting to make a dugout canoe to use in the river so if anyone in the area has a good poplar or white pine log that I could use let me know.
Alan
The first of the frame in place

Inner bark from willow tree used as lashing

The bark going on. I drilled holes and tied it on with the willow lashing

Putting the roof on

Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Wigwam
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42:43 pm »
That's just too cool, Alan, looks like the centerpiece of a great primitive camp. Thanks for posting it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:36 pm »
A few more
A view of camp

A couple from inside

The first fire

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:52:47 pm »
Very cool, Alan. What kind of bark is it? Looks like poplar. Why do you char the pole bottoms? protection from rot?  I could easily live in there...or at least stay in it during a hunting trip.   
   I have plenty of poplar and white pine if you want to cut and haul from the camp-o-rama. There will be lots of help.  ;)         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »
Thanks Steve.

Thanks Pat, yes it is poplar bark and yes charring the poles where they go in the ground is supposed to help prevent rot. Yeah I could use a little more bark to patch up a few spots or a big log for a dugout canoe.  :)

Alan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:08 pm »
There are a few 18"+ poplars in the woods here. You are welcome to a tree if you want it.
   Some of the high priced homes around here are using poplar bark shingles for siding. It was a traditional siding along with chestnut bark.
   Your wigwam would make a great ground blind. I'd bet it wouldn't take long for the local critters to get used to it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:28:14 pm »
               Very Nice looking Wikiup Alan......Here is a picture of a Tipi We have on Land back Home in Michigan......The Natives here built Hogans of Sod and Red Clay

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:51:09 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 06:34:19 pm »
Hey you all th is just way to cool ,makes me wish I had some land somewhere to do that on
             Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

SelfYewDave

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:59:07 pm »
Guys,
That is just plain ole awesome!!!  That is some cool stuff ya'll did there.

:) :) :)

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:44:40 pm »
Wow Allen that turned out really great.
I want to come up some time and see it in person.

Anyway... great job.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:00:53 pm »
Very cool.  That is an awesome shelter.  How do you get the bark off in such big pieces? 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Don

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »
Allen.
 That is cooler the cool.  ;D
How do you keep the bark flat or from curling when you've had a fire going inside?
Also is the bark lashed to the poles?
That will make the perfect shelter for a  hunt.
What size?
Again I love it.
Don
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:16:44 pm by Don »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 09:38:06 pm »
Very very cool 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:30 pm »
How do you get the bark off in such big pieces?

Rick, from about May to August, the bark slips easily off of tulip poplar logs, you can just about cut a log and knock it clean out of the bark with a sledge hammer. If you cut it down one side of the log, it peels right off with very little effort.

Oh, and nice bark tipi, Mike-very cool.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:44 pm »
It's really cool inside....my Brother John and I built this two years ago...it gets used a bunch too....lots of get togethers around the Fire Circle.....it's really nice in the Spring and Fall....a bit on the warm side in the Humid Summers!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome