Author Topic: Softening Cow Raw hide  (Read 16060 times)

Phillip K

Softening Cow Raw hide
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:13 pm »
How would I go about doing that? ??? Just wanted to Know the way you all would do it Thanks for your Input.PK
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:17:21 am by Phillip K »

Offline kayakfisher

Re: Softening Cow Raw hide
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:35:07 pm »
I pretty well use rawhide to back my bows and the way I do it is to cut the rawhide in a strip a little wider than my bow with a good pair of sharp scissors , then I run enough warm water in the bathtup about a inch or so then throw both strips in the water and let them soak untill there soft . Then when my wife isnt looking I take one of her good bath towels and run the rawhide through it to wipe off the water ,rawhide is still damp and pliable. Put titebond glue on back of bow then place rawhide on glue and wrap the entire length of limb and let set.When rawhide and glue is both dry you can cut excess rawhide off the edges of the limb with drawknife I hope this helps you
                                                                              Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:25:48 pm »
soaking it sometimes helps or ive tried and read using ashes mixed in with water...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:50:20 am »
You can buy a home tanning kit and follow the directions for turning the rawhide into soft leather....or you can soak the rawhide as already mentioned.  It will get stiff again when it dries, of course.

If you want a good workout, you can braintan the hide.  Just google "braintan". ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Phillip K

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:01 pm »
I think I'll Just experiment with the stuff Instead of Buying A tanning kit or Findinding Brains, I think My own work Pretty well for fig urin stuff out. 8)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »
Phillip, cow raw hide is pretty thick for bow backings. It will work but it needs to be thined, the best way I've found to do it is on a belt sander....Deer or goat raw hide works much better for bow backings.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:30 pm »
hey ifn you just want to tan and soften it there was a great do along ,on one of these forums called egg tan along he tanned hides using eggs.
                                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Phillip K

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:35 am »
Ryano I got some deerskin for backing from A fellow on paleo,the Cow Im gonna make a quiver cause it's got lots of thin spots. Now I gotta soak it again and dry it and Restle it. I'll show ya when I'm done. you all have gotten me some good trades and deals saved me some money to.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:13:19 am by Phillip K »

Phillip K

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:43 am »
Lets say I just had to much Time on My hands.Like the Ryan said and Who else.I only post On this forum Cause of respect for all yer effort and the tips you all share with others. Ahha!.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:08:34 am by Phillip K »