Author Topic: Tapered shaft  (Read 7104 times)

Offline agd68

Tapered shaft
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:51:57 am »
What is the benifit to tapering arrow shafts? ???
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Minuteman

Re: Tapered shaft
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:17:30 pm »
Tapering a shaft allows you to shoot a lighter weight arrow while still keeping a higher spine weight and that equals a faster arrow.
 It also helps the back end of the arrow clear the bow  better, the tail end being thinner theres less  there for the handle to disturb as it goes zippin by.
 A lot of natural material arrows are naturally tapered, cane and shoots (if not made parallel) have a big end and a small end, just put the big end up front and you have a naturally tapered weight forward shaft.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
Barrell tapered shafts are suppossed to recover faster from the archer's paradox, making them better for non center shot bows. Because the tips are lighter, they will recover faster. A weight forward shaft will also fly better.

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »
Thanks for the info. Do you spine the shaft before or after tappering it?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:30 pm »
They look cool. ;D

There's a lot of debate about this....and many people (including engineers and physicists) conclude that parallel shafts are the best shape for arrows.

IMO, the material that is most readily available (i.e., cheapest) is the material that is (and has always been) used for arrows.  IMO, the effect of arrow shape is relatively small compared to the effects of bow strength and the archer's skill.  It's one of those things that archers use to "fine tune" their equipment.  If you're close to your target (like you're supposed to be), the difference is negligible.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:26:17 pm »
Spine before and after tapering.  Also, spine after shooting the arrows, if you shoot a lot.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:24 pm »
Barrel tapering will allow for decrease physical weight without(or almost) effecting the spine. Flight shooters use them, I believe, for that reason.  I'm shooting mostly cane or hardwood shoot arrows(tapered from point to cock) and for self bows they are hard to beat. I get good bow clearance and good heavy hunting arrows...and both are almost indestructible.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »
Jack is absolutely correct. I don't personally use barrel tapered shafts, but that is the theory.  I don't think it's worth the extra effort. I use hexpine parallel shafts, and cane. But, if you want to fine tune, it's an option.

Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
I don't think Jack is " absolutely correct" . I think that he was expressing his opinion. Tapered shafts are one step up from parallel shafts in performance especially in hunting situations. If Parallel shafts were so much better than tapered why would folks taper them? Why would they cost more and people pay it?
 Jack can shoot what he wants but he was stating an opinion not fact. I can say that the tapered arrows I've fletched up and shot were more forgiving than parallel shafts and usable spine range seemed to be wider.
 Most of the arrows I make are parallel simply because I haven't come up with a real good way to taper them yet.
 "Any old stick can make a bow but a good arrow is a heap of work."

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:32:47 am »
Hey Minuteman!  Why did you have to go and deflate my ego like that?  Dang..... :'(

Anyway, some might conclude from my comment about parallel shafts that I prefer parallel shafts or that I think parallel shafts are superior to all other designs?  Well, truth is, I prefer tapered shafts.

Huh?

Yep....I haven't used parallel shafts for years.  For me, barrelled shafts are more "natural" and fit better with my primitive equipment.  I'm also not trying out for the Olympics so the accuracy and consistency of parallel shafts is not a concern to me. The key word here being consistency.

And while we are on the subject, why is there a general lack of understanding of Olympic records, techniques, and equipment in the archery community?  Those guys are out there fishing while we are debating about the best way to dig up the worms. :-\

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:33:33 pm »
Hey Minuteman, go to June 23 in "Arrows" and see the "tapper tool remake". Its a simple tool to tapper shafts.

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:16 pm »
Dick, bring your taper tool to the camp-o-rama. I have a doz ash shafts I want to taper.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »
Its in the truck. Need a drill?

Dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:40:05 pm »
Might as well bring it. ;D    Pat

DBernier

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:06:22 pm »
Done. Anything you can think of we need. This is a list of what I am bringing:

Cane-two bundles, dried
Douglas fur shafts 3 doz
POC several doz shafts
Aluminum shafts (ouch)
Flint napping matl-8 buckets of it including coral and 4 bags of sand for heat treating.
Tapper tool
Draw knives with tools
Nocking tool
Draw horse
one 8 ft table
one 10 x 10 pop-up
two shelter tents(in case someone forgets)
Flintlock rifle and  pistol to show Allen
Some Bowie knives, done and in process
5 bows with arrows (we may run into a war)
1 H & K .45 We may run into a BIG war.

Did I forget anything? This is the reason I have to come on Thursday. It will take two days to unload.  ;D

Dick