Author Topic: Just getting started.  (Read 5226 times)

Offline crarnold65

Re: Just getting started.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:25:14 pm »
thanksfor all the input. I have been on line and seen the pages on building a redwood bow and its very good instruction to the beginner. I have been doing some research about wood availble to me in South Florida and the results have not been as good as I had hoped. I do however have a friend who thinks he can get me a nice piece of Hickory. Not sure if thats a good option for the first bow project but it may be my only prospect for a while.

I am probably jumping the gun a little bit by asking this but do you guys make your own bowstrings as well?
"A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep" Hindu Proverb

I added a string to my stick. :-)

Badbill

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:01 pm »
I love Hickory, its a great wood. I'm amazed at how well it bends.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:00:00 pm by Badbill »

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »
Crar, welcome to this facination and addiction. Do a google search, there are site that you can use to find out what kind of wood grows in your area, and areas you could drive to as well.

http://forestry.about.com/library/treekey/bltree_key_id_start.htm is one that looks easy to use, you just need some of the leaves from a certain tree and it will guide you along.

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/extension/florida_forestry_information/forest_resources/trees_of_florida_common_hardwoods.html is a page taht shows common hardwoods in Florida. You have tons of options, ash, hornbearm, 6 types of hickory, eastern red cedar, eastern hophornbeam, guava, about 10 types of oak, American and Florida elm....just a feast! Now you just have to figure out where they grow, and go harvesting.

Looks like you Florida boys have it good. And sometimes wood just finds you. A huge branch feel off the maple tree in my front yard, and I got a 12" diameter, 12 foot long log out of it, as well as a few big limbs and some smaller limbs too, so it doesnt have to cost and arm and a leg.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline crarnold65

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:50 pm »
Thanks for the links Dane

Looks like I have a number of choices. I still think I like the idea of hickory. Looks like I am going to do a little wood hunting this weekend. I need to get busy. Tomorrow I will hopefully be getting some good news from the Iowa Game and Fish as to my non-Resident bow hunting application. I know I won't be able to finish my project and become proficient enough with it to use it hunting but it would be nice to have it to show of at the lodge after hunting all day.

Thanks again.

This bow thing is going to become an obsession.......cool

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:29:29 pm »
Crarnold,there are several expert primitive types from Florida that are regulars on this site.One of them will eventually chime in,so be ready with your localized questions,about native woods,and materials.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline crarnold65

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:33 pm »
I will be ready I have notepad and have about a page and a half worth of notes. Also went to three rivers archery supply and looked into some of their bowbuilding supplies. This is going to get ugly quick. Luckily enough I don't have to worry about getting my purchases approved by anybody else.

If somebody could give me an idea of what basic tools I should start getting accumulated it would be appreciated.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:41 pm »
Welcome! As far as tools go your going to need a handsaw of some sort a good rasp, I like a old fariers rasp, a scraper, a draw knife would be good as well. Oh and you going to want to build your self a tillering tree. I'll see if I can find a link to post for directions for that. You dont know what your getting your self into hear..... >:D  O:)  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 11:27:32 pm »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline crarnold65

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 11:45:20 pm »
Ryano,

Someone once said "great deeds come at great cost". I believe they might have been a member of this forum.

Thanks for the input on the tools. I will be doing some tool shoppig this week end as well. Being an electrician the idea of having to buy more tools does not bother me in the least. I do however believe the people at Three Rivers are going to be sending me Christmas Cards.  ;D :o