Author Topic: Bush hunting HAWAIIAN pigs (pics)  (Read 33385 times)

Offline flungonin

Re: Bush hunting HAWAIIAN pigs (pics)
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:13 pm »
Nomadic Pirate-These pic remind me of the area above Pearl Ridge, Aiea and the Nanakuli area. Had a great time. I think I was in the right place one time in Nanakuli but a little to early. Had a hog come thru about 2A.M. in the morning and flatten our tent. I was still learnin about hogs back then.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15:34 am »
That would freeze the balls off of a brass monkey! :o

Pat, you know the origin of that saying?  i believe it has do do with cannon balls.  to keep them from rolling around on the ships deck they would stack them like a pyramid.  but when the ship rocked the bottom fell out and they rolled anyway.  Then they made a dimpled holder like you see for pool balls in the original box out of iron, but found that it would rust to the balls and lock the bottom row in place never to be used again.  Then they next tried brass, since it does not corrode the same as the balls.  It worked and they no longer rusted together or rolled around, but when it got really cold the brass would contract, popping up and out "off" the cannon balls, which were now rolling on the ship deck once again.  Hence the term .

so that is how you freeze the balls off a brass monkey.  i always thought it had something to do with a statue and vulgarity  ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2009, 10:31:40 am »
 awesome pig- beautiful bow too
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.