Author Topic: Sharpened Cane  (Read 2700 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Sharpened Cane
« on: July 20, 2008, 12:50:37 pm »
Hey guys, I've been working with a lot of cane and reed lately and I've cut myself (on the cane) more times than I'd like to admit.  I'm beginning to understand why some NA arrows have nothing more than sharpened tips of cane (cut off at a steep angle).

Have any of you tried using sharpened cane for hunting?
Anyone conducted any penetration tests?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:53:26 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Sharpened Cane
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 10:30:02 pm »
The Southeastern Indians did penetration tests on Spaniards wearing chain mail with sharpened cane with good results. It split on contact and punched a bunch of razor-sharp splinters through the links in the armor and into the Spaniard's chests. You can make really sharp knives out of cane. A buddy of mine used to shoot abo class at 3D shoots with slant-tipped cane shafts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:13:49 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sharpened Cane
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:47 am »
Just sharpening the tip would probably, eventually,kill a big game animal but would be illegal in most if not all states and unethical in all. By itself it wouldn't be good for small game either. It needs something added that would also add shock. For target shooting and 3D its pretty good.
 If it is the same friend that Hillbilly spoke of he would cut a bevel on the point end and about 3" above a node. Then he would fill the center hole with sand(for weight) and drip pitch to seal. A fire hardened tip done like this is pretty tough. Barry stuck his in big oak trees(sometimes on purpose, sometimes not!  ;D ) with very little ill effects.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC