Author Topic: ??? about sinew  (Read 18897 times)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: ??? about sinew
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:54:02 pm »
Here is a old howto I did on horn points.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5342.0.html

Using cow horn for horn bows is hard to do with most types of cows because the horn tends to delaminate into very thin layers.

Ralph

Papa Matt

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:23 pm »
Shouldn't that make it easier, Ralph? Do you mean that the horn falls apart into thin layers when you soak it?  ???

~~Matt

Offline Boro

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will keep You posted how it turned out. The horn looks great when polished.
And keep it going with the hornbow stuff. I like  ;D

Boro
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 03:40:14 pm »
When you soak it ,or boil it to straighten ,flatten it , most types of cow horn delaminate into paper thin layers .The horn grows in a spiral ,corksrewing up the length .Each year the horn gets bigger and the slope of the spiral changes .And it tears apart between these layers.
     I have had success once ,by cutting the horn into two inch lengths .This was short enough so that layers didn't deviate in slope but just a little .

I then glued the flattened two inch pieces of horn on the belly of the core ,so that if the first piece sloped right ,the second piece of horn sloped left etc. .   It was a huge pain in the ----- .  But it does look good.

There are a few types of cow that are used regularly for bows. They are the older breeds with straighter horns I think. I heard of a Hungarian cow , for one. I want to try the Scottish Highland cow or maybe a Brahma . You can see the spiralled growth in the horn so you don't have to cut to have an idea if it will work or not. Just compare the 'grain' on the outside and inside of the horn ,and look for delamination of the base.

I'm not really an expert ,but I have tried to use cow horn and failed many many times .Before I figured this much out.Sorry for being so long winded.

Ralph

Papa Matt

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 04:45:50 pm »
Not at all, Ralph. We appreciate you taking the time to explain!

-Matt

Offline Boro

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 04:25:09 am »
How abut freezing tendons? Do they change if frozen?
Boro
Zagreb, Croatia

Papa Matt

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:54 am »
Never have tried to freeze them, but I think it would probably be best to do that after letting them dry first in air. I don't think the refrigerator would hurt them if you wanted to stick 'em in there for some reason.

~~Matt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:27 am »
I get raw backstrap sinew from the processor and he freezes it for me, it doesn't cause any problems unless it freezer burns.
Once its dry there is no need to freeze it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Boro

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:24 am »
Ehem, cows are fat. At first, cleaning was a bit difficult but after a few I got a hang of it and went fine. It is drying slow and I got the middle still wet while edge areas became dry, translucent with a pinkish tone. Haven't tried to pound it yet, I will get back with that too...

Boro
Zagreb, Croatia

Papa Matt

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 09:09:18 am »
Sounds like they're coming ok. Don't pound them until they are completely hard and dry.

~~Matt

Offline Boro

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »
Ok, pounding time...
I didn't really pound it, I bought grip pliers (will send some photos), set it to hard and voila, I got some tendon fibers. It seems quite gentle this material. Can it be that wildlife tendons are not so gentle as these?
Zagreb, Croatia

Offline Boro

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:55 am »
This grip plyers test was bad. They were still wet so it was somewhat easier to separate them, but as they were getting dryer they were also harder. I am having problems with pounding becaouse I live in apartment and neighbours are not very happy with that. Anyway, I did use some for backing a bow (witch broke) and they seem quite hard. Wood broke but sinew is holding. Then again, I have never seen any other sinew backed bow but this one.

Zagreb, Croatia