Author Topic: fastest selfbow?  (Read 56287 times)

Dustybaer

fastest selfbow?
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:26:23 am »
i was just asked this question on a german archery forum:  what's the highest recorded speed of a selfbow, using 10gr/# arrows?

does anyone know?  to my knowledge, the 200fps mark has not been crossed yet.  is that correct?

thanks in advance folks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fastest selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:50:01 am »
Marius, I believe Marc St Louis has come close to the 200fps mark but not quite there but in the 190s.
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:04 am »
I'm sure someone has crossed that barrier...somewhere.  In TBB IV, Tim Baker says that with 10gr/# arrows, the average arrow speed for a well made selfbow is 100fps plus the draw weight of the bow.  So a 110lb selfbow, for example, should be able to cross that barrier. (100+110=210fps)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:35:02 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:33:53 am »
I'm sorry, Jim Hamm made the observation...bottom of page 109, TBB IV.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

DCM

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:22 am »
"In TTB IV, Tim Baker says that with 10gr/# arrows, the average arrow speed for a well made selfbow is 100fps plus the draw weight of the bow.  So a 110lb selfbow, for example, should be able to cross that barrier. (100+110=210fps)"

I don't have vol IV, but this is a common misconception.  At least, one I harbored for while, in fact I picked up from misunderstanding Tim Baker's chapter in Vol I, until some flight shooter set me straight.  If you hold the constant 10 grains of arrow mass for each pound of draw weight you normalize, or standardize the various draw weights.  So, regardless of whether you shoot a 500 grain arrow from a 50# bow or 700 from a 70# the fps would be comparable, the same.

Edited: Evidently Jim and I had the same misconception of Vol I.  I'm in good company!

170s is the best I've ever done with an r/d backed bow.  As I understand it 180s is good, been done.  190s will get you a flight record, when configured for flight.  Shooting technique makes a HUGE difference, 10 fps or more.  Only way to really measure and compare objectively is with a shooting machine setup.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:36:24 am »
I was reading that too from hamm.  I have played with 3 osage selfbows, and it seems 150fps is all I can muster with 9gr/#.   I bet hamm is heat treating, and back setting and the whole nine yards.  
Westminster, MD

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:00:17 pm »
      I actually do a lot of testing using a shooting machine for more accurate readings. Obviously I have tested more of my own bows than anyone elses because I have better access to them. Shooting bamboo backed bows and using modern fast flight strings I have crossed the 190 barrier several times in the past year, I rarely get a self bow past 182 but had a best of 184 using a dacron string, if this same bow had been using a 6 strand fast flight it likely would have hit the 190 mark. We have an annual contest called " walk the talk". This contest is open to modern and primitive bows and all are shot using the same strings and identical 10 grains per pound arrows. The fastest modern bow hit 198. My bow had an official contest speed of 185 but was corrected to 188 because of tape that was used on the string to tighten up the arrow nock making it too tight. Using smaller lighter strings the fastest modern bow hit 202 and my boo baked bow hit 192 fps, I think it is safe to say that any self bow over 170 is considered fast and any backed bow over 180 could be considered fast.
     Using 500 grain arrows I have hit the 200 mark with a 57# boo backed osage and a 61# maple self bow. I would imagine several guys would be getting similar numbers if they tested more often. Steve

Dustybaer

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
steve, if it's OK with you, i'd like to quote some of your statements (mainly cause i said earlier this morning that you and marc routinely make selfbows, shooting at 180-190fps.)

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »
Dusty, I wouldn't say that my self bows routinely hit 180, I have to struggle to hit 180 with a self bow. The backed bows do routinely. Steve

Dustybaer

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
that's exactly why i wanted to quote you.  to correct my erroneous statement.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:42 pm »
I dont use the 10# rule, I use a 500grain arrow.  My fastest was the 3/4" wide Ipe selfbow at 191fps.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
The 100fps plus the bow weight was for shooting a 500 grain arrow- no matter what the weight.

Marc St. Louis's heate tempered reflexed static recurves shoot 180+ fps (with a 10 gpp arrow) but require alot of time and care. He wrote a great article on making one in one of the back issues of PA. His bows are selfbows, but not straight bows.

I believe Steve's bows, because of the care and work he puts into them, are some of the fastest straight or reflexed bows (non recurved). Even Tim Baker's Adamann-Homegard (sp?) design only shot about 175 fps with a 10 gpp arrow.

In TBB vol 3 there is a photo of Simon (sp? I don't recall his last name) shooting a hickory backed yew warbow, something like 150#, 208 fps with a 950 or so grain arrow.

You can easily break the 200 mark with a selfbow if you use the right design and a lighter arrow, to a point.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:46:12 pm »
My gosh, you guys got to be kidding me.   190fps-200fps regulary with 10gr/#.  That can be tough for lam/glass bows. 

I would love to see one.  Very impressive.
Westminster, MD

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 09:13:51 pm »
My gosh, you guys got to be kidding me.   190fps-200fps regulary with 10gr/#.  That can be tough for lam/glass bows. 

I would love to see one.  Very impressive.
Wouldn't call it regularly, but yes you are right. A wood bow can be every bit as good as a lam/glass bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 12:35:39 am »
Robustus is getting excellent speed out of his all natural horse bows. One he was shooting last year at Hickory would spit a light carbon arrow almost 280fps and a 600gr cane hunting arrow was bumping 190.     
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC