Author Topic: Moose Hunting Questions  (Read 4393 times)

Kewrin

Moose Hunting Questions
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:49:30 pm »
Okay! I have an itch to go Moose hunting.  I think it is in the middle of my back!

Do any of you have any information about this.  I am just starting to do research and would appreciate any help.
I would like to stay in the states but...
I would like to do it inexpensive (but not be cheap).
Guided or Not.  Prefer Not Guided.  But am not against guides.

TIA

Kerwin

Offline The Singing Bowyer

Re: Moose Hunting Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:01:43 am »
Pretty much anywhere in the states, you will have to put in for a draw. I have been putting in for Maine for the last 6 years...nothing yet! Unfortunately, most of the draws are either over or nearly over for this year to even be able to put in...

As long as it may take to get drawn, it may be better to start a Moose Fund now, and in 5 to 10, just pay for tag up in the big north. Even then, there are draws, but you have a better chance...especially if you can work through an outfitter.
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:50:05 am »
agreed - most of US is a draw.  Unfortunately, all of Canada requires a guide for US citizens.   :(

FYI, a couple years ago I calculated the "cost" of drawing a moose tag in Maine. This year it was $55 for 10 chances for a non-resident. Published odds of a non-resident getting a permit: 1 in 700.  So just using some simple math, statistically each permit costs $5 * 700, which is $3500.  If you're lucky you draw in a year or two.  If you're me, you never draw.   :(

You can go to Newfoundland and enjoy a good hunt for about that number (more when you add travel/tips/etc - but you have to do that in Maine too), and you can go now - no need to wait to get lucky.  So yes, I went to Newfoundland.  (full disclosure: I went with my flintlock, I aint good enough with my bow ... yet. All my buddies carried rifles.)

The outfitter I went with was bought out by his head guide this year - Maurice Brake, http://www.nfbiggame.com/default.htm. I can recommend him without reservation. Be sure to tell him you'll be using a bow, and if you cant understand his accent ask to talk to his wife (Sharon).  Absolutely beautiful place, great people, great camp, great food, and moose are simply awesome.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:51:00 am by Justin Snyder »
I should know better.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:23:39 pm »
yup in MN its all lottery for moose,and you get one chance per lifetime here even ifn you dont fill your tag. thats it no more one per lifetime  >:(
try Alaska, i here its prety easy to get a tag and the Mooses are enourmous,from my understanding the cows up there are pretty close in size to the bulls
in the lower US.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Kewrin

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:42:39 pm »
Thanks guys for the info.  I did look at the Newfoundland website.  Looks interesting.  I am finding that most states are the drawings. 
wish me luck.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:40 pm »
im not sure on this but there are shiras mosse in some of the western states, but if they are hunted the tag will be by draw...alaska is a great area to hunt the big old boar moose, plus lots of GRIZZ!  ;D
Modern Day Tramp