Author Topic: Splicing sinew for bowstring  (Read 5279 times)

Papa Matt

Splicing sinew for bowstring
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:15:08 am »
Anyone that can explain how to splice sinew for a bow string, or point me to wher I can get the info please?

~~Papa Matt

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Splicing sinew for bowstring
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:38:24 am »
I do it like any other string ,so look for any cordage howto. You twist together each thread with the next one being careful to stagger the splices so no two splices are side by side . I also lick my fingers to keep the sinew damp so it sticks to itself .And pull the string tight from time to time as I go.

That's a sinew string I used as a cable backing on a bamboo bow.

Ralph

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Splicing sinew for bowstring
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:42:29 am »
As you've probably figured out already, splicing the hardest, most frustrating, get outa here I'm busy, part of making string from sinew.  At the moment, I don't have a good camera...so I can't show you my technique.....but here is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2qhN1qCdg&feature=related

Imagine, if you will, adding a thin piece of sinew (splice) onto each strand as you're twisting it....sometimes you'll be adding a splice as you twist, sometimes you can twist a few times before you have to add more sinew (to maintain thickness).  The end of each new splice will be "hanging in the wind" (which will be trimmed off later).  You end up with a shaggy string when you're finished twisting.

Some people do not leave the end of the new splices hanging in the wind...they bend the end over and twist it with the other strand.  In my experience, this makes the string lumpy.

Hope this helps. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr