Author Topic: Cottonmouth skins for bow backing?  (Read 6219 times)

Papa Matt

Cottonmouth skins for bow backing?
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:42:20 pm »
Anybody know if cottonmouths have good skin for bow backing? Not that I'll be heading out to the river to try to catch one, but I ask because snakeskin is often used to back a sinew backing to protect it from moisture, and perhaps since the cotton is a watersnake, it's skin might have a higher resistance to moisture? Or maybe all snakeskins make good bow backers as long as they're big enough??

Anybody ever used cottonmouth?

~~Papa Matt

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Cottonmouth skins for bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:10:22 pm »
I have used them to great success after drying them they are treated just like any other snake..

David

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:13:35 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong... but, I think any dried SS can be used as a bow backing.

Papa Matt

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:17:03 pm »
That's what it is beginning to look like ADB. I didn't know if any snake worked and if a water snake skin offered more protection from moisture or not.

Thanks for the comments ADB and David  :)

~~Papa Matt

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »
  All the same to me except a python. I had to use a knife to skin one and it was almost like fleshing a deer skin. They are tough and attached to the back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:41:05 pm »
I think that any snake skin will work for bow backing and except for adding over sinew, it is strictly decorative. Some snakes like pythons(like Eddie said) and large Eastern D-back skins are thick and IMO not appropriate for bow backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:32:55 pm »
Thank for the input everybody!

~~Matt

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:28:52 pm »
  All the same to me except a python. I had to use a knife to skin one and it was almost like fleshing a deer skin. They are tough and attached to the back.

does that mean python is not good, or would it have the same sort of protection then deerhide??

f.
Frank from Germany...