Author Topic: Skinning snakes  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Postman

Skinning snakes
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:56:59 am »
Kind of self-explanitory and easy, I know, but a few pitfalls ( GET IT ?  PIT falls?... ... I KILL  Me...:D)  I have noticed in the procedure that i'll pass along, plus there are some cool pics.  ;)

Step 1 Don't get bit. Those psychos on TV have medics right off camera and better equipment / heath coverage.

Step 2 freeze asap or skin asap. This guy was OK after 2 days out before freezing but STANK....Gently cleaned  the skin with antibacterial soap after skinning - we'll see if it affects drying later. Roadkill of fairly recent vintage is fine.

Slightly frozen was a lot easier to work with - freezing also is an easy way to dispatch a venomous snake without damaging you or it

Snake was 22" or so (decaffinated) but skin was 24" before any stretching after it was taken off. Gently streched to about 27 to tail tip, 25 or so useable because of careful work at tail.

step 3  Use Small scissors. Have used razor blades, knives...., scissors are much easier - start by cutting from anus to tail, then neck to anus or vice versa - I know it's a snake, and kinda freakin' ya out,.... but STAY IN THE CENTER! you need that belly skin to be even for tacking.

. CAREFUL with tail - those precious inches can do the knock area.... and   are probably the difference on this  snake going a whole limb or not.

Any large, yellow round sacs in a pitviper are "eggs".They lay live young without ever  calcifying / hardening the eggs, allowing the  mom to be a mobile incubator - brilliant.  No wonder she was skinny, mean, and really drilled me... - she had 7 babies in her belly  :-[ 

Step 4 carefully pull the skin off, using thumbs to work out areas that stick, and remove any membrane / blood.  place scale side down on a 2 by 4 or something similar.

CAREFUL around anus and any wounds - easy to tear and will shorten skin a bunch!

Step 5  - tack out the tricky tail area first - use small brads so's ya can pull the skin off without removing the nails first, and tack so cut or torn areas are not stressed any more.

Put the staple gun away, dude.... BAD idea. what are you THINKING???

Step 6 tack up to neck, gently stretch to sides,pushing  nails a bit to adjust, raise snake off of board for air circulation.

pull neck up if head is still on, and tack in eyes.

OK GUYS -  can I use the head skin? Anybody ever try? think it would look cool, but am I way off on this one ???

oh yeah - careful skinnin, that head- still fangs in there ;D

Dry in cool, dark  place, while you try to make a bow worthy of this fantastic creature's beautiful skin.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Postman

Re: Skinning snakes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:59:59 am »
Rest o' the pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]

radius

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:32:45 am »
did you say decaffinated?

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:41:15 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:09 am »
Purty skins - wish they were as plentiful as when I was a lad :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

radius

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »
cowboy, are you sure about that?!?!?  Didn't you see his finger?

gene roberts

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:27 pm »
Cool..I was wondering how i should go about that.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:19:08 pm »
Yup Scott - I'd just have to keep my eyes peeled, wouldn't mind dealing with em for some of them purty hides 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

radius

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
you got kahonays....