Author Topic: A newbie says hello.  (Read 14998 times)

Offline Dale

A newbie says hello.
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:46 pm »
Hello to all,

My name is Dale and I am from the booming metropolis of Jacks Creek, TN.  For those of you who aren't sure of where that is, it's right between Sweet Lips and Lizard Licks, in Chester County of West Tennessee. 

My two sons, 18 & 21 and my son-in-law are trying our hands as primitive bowyers.  We've had some successes and some failures, but we're having fun. 

Looking forward to our future conversations,

Dale

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: A newbie says hello.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:24:58 pm »
Looking forward to it too Dale. Welcome to the site and may your stay be enjoyable and informative - perhaps ya'll can teach us a new trick or two :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:48 am »
Welcome Dale. This is the place. Anything ya'll need , just ask. If you are within driving distance of Clarkesville,Tenn,  check out the Tenn Classic in early may. Lots of us PA folks attend.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:24 am »
Welcome aboard, Dale.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dale

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:58 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.  I intended to get to Clarksville last May, but it didn't work out.  Maybe next year. 

I did however see the "Lost Tribe Traditional Archers of TN" mentioned in the article about the Tennessee Classic.  I contacted them hoping that they would be close, but they are 80 miles from the house, in the Memphis area.  We went and shot with them once and had a great time.  They all seem to be fine people.  They shoot glass and primitive, but most were shooting glass bows.  I was hoping to meet some bowyers that I could glean some information from, but I think they primarily shoot commercial bows.  At least that is what I saw on my one shoot with them.

So far my youngest son has made some light weight bows of scrap red oak and one of a shagbark hickory that we cut last August.  He over tillered it and it is very week, but he is working on some more.  My oldest son however, has made a pretty good bow from the same hickory and backed it with rawhide with the hair not removed.  I call it "Ol' Shaggy".  My hickory bow is going extremely slow.  I'm afraid of making a mistake so it's taking forever.  I made my 2 1/2 year old grandson a pretty good bow from black locust though.  The little snaky bow will really sling an arrow.

Thanks,
Dale

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:27:27 pm »
Dale, if you ain't breaking em, you ain't making em!!!  ;)   Its only wood and there is still plenty of that out there. If you have a digital camera we can walk you through the tillering process. Also, read George's web site. It will tell you everything!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:22:55 am »
Welcome friend.  I'm coming up on my one year posting anniversary and as you can see, I visit here often. I hope you jump in and have fun.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:45:07 am »
welcome brother, good bunch of guys and gals here... look forward to your posts ;DHawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Dale

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:05 pm »
I'll see if i can borrow my daughter's camera.  I do have some questions before I procede much farther and a picture is worth a..... You know.

Dale

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:19 am »
Welcome Dale,I don't know how I missed this,I am in Clarksville,if you get in the area
give me a call.I am always at the club on the weekends and would love to have yall
anytime. The home of the TN.Classic is on my farm so I am there a lot.  ;) :) Just
post pictures and questions here ,these folks are glad to help.They have helped me a lot
over the years. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:13 pm »
Dale,
Pappy is such a good host.  He is always welcoming people to come out.  You should take him up on the offer if you all can coordinate a weekend.  Weather is turning nice...would be a great time to get out and shoot!  speaking of I need to get out and shoot at that wild hog target Pappy set up in my back yard.   I think I am the only one in my neighborhood that has one!  I feel very special.   ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 05:54:06 am »
You are special. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dale

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:55:45 pm »
Hello Pappy and Calendergirl.  I haven't checked this subject in a while so I didn't realize that anyone else had replied to it.  Thank you both.

Pappy, I didn't want you to think that I took your invitation lightly.  Hopefully we will be able to get up that way sometime soon.  It would be nice to actually meet a real bowyer.  The three TBB volumes that we have, this website and PA magazine have been great teachers, but there's nothing like being in person and actually handling a well done bow.

Thanks,
Dale

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:51:15 pm »
Hi Dale look forward to meeting you at the next TN Classic.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »
   Hi Dale and welcome. You came to the right site for advice and I'll be looking forward to meeting you at Pappy's Classic next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?